PDA

View Full Version : mb7 + cycle ? RC

afernandez
12/16/2010, 08:48 PM
ok back round ..

i bough 45# of LR from LA.com -cured it for 1.5 months along with some other dry rock i had from previous set up....
so after setting up the tank and all equipment.. put in a couple of shrimps to spike ammonia ...so in 4 days i reached an ammonia level of 2.5 which i think is enough to cause a good strong cycle which is what i want...now for my question..

i was wondering if it would be a good idea to use mb7 to help with bacteria. NOT TO RUSH THE CYCLE ...simply to HELP BACTERIA ..

TIA-

reefgeezer
12/16/2010, 09:20 PM
I don't think MB7 has anything to do with the bacteria needed with denitrification, besides nature provides the bacteria needed.

seapug
12/16/2010, 09:34 PM
You'll get differing opinions on this, but I would recommend doing probiotic additions during cycling. I started doing it when my tank was 3 years old. I wish I would have been able to do it from day one.

afernandez
12/17/2010, 12:57 PM
ttt

bertoni
12/17/2010, 03:46 PM
I'm skeptical about most bacterial additions during tank setup. I don't see the value. The bacteria in most supplements, including MB7, are intended for decomposing organic debris, not dealing with ammonia, and ammonia is the primary issue in a new tank. If someone is selling an ammonia-reducing bacterial product, that might be useful, but it's not clear that there are any.

noobtothereef
12/18/2010, 01:58 AM
i dont think any bacteria product is worth a hoot, ive dosed hundreds of dollars of bacteria products and didnt notice squat

afernandez
12/18/2010, 06:15 AM
I'm just going to leave it alone.

MedRed
12/18/2010, 06:40 AM
I've used BioSpira and SuperBac with great success. I keep really rare (read expensive) freshwater nano fish that are very sensitive to water outside of parameters. As long as I'm not using ADA Aquasoil, I can set up the tank and add some fish the day I add water to the tank.

In my new 60 Gallon tank, I dosed MB7 from day one after introducing 3 large cocktail shrimp in a tank with nothing but dry rock. MB7 seemed to help break down the shrimp a lot quicker than what I'd normally think would happen in a sterile tank. I decided to add a bottle of superbac to the tank after having some left over from another tank. The next day my ammonia and nitrite were both at zero.

For a tank with live rock. I'd propose using something like superbac or bio spira at the zenith of die off to really speed up the cycle.

bertoni
12/18/2010, 05:08 PM
How do you know the bacteria did anything useful? I agree that they might have helped reduce the ammonia to zero. What is the purpose of adding so much food and then having bacteria in a bottle consume it?

MedRed
12/19/2010, 10:58 AM
I used all dry rock and fresh sand. I had no bacterial colony at all. I use the food to create a ton of ammonia and then force a cycle that establishes enough bacteria to allow me to add livestock without another massive ammonia spike.

I've used Bio Spira and SuperBac for since 2005... at one time I had 11 tanks, and would constantly breakdown and rescape tanks with new substrate, plants, fish and rocks as I became bored with them. As long as I'm not using ADA aquasoil, I can use either of those products and add some fish on the first day of tank setup with zero cycle.

The MB7 seems to shorten cycle time, but not eliminate it as well as SuperBac and Bio Spira.