PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer drain line into basement?

TJQ
12/16/2010, 11:36 PM
Hi,

For my 300 gallon build I'll be setting up a continous water change system. There will be three john guest tubes running into the sump: new sw in, old sw out, and fw in for ato. This will be controlled by some litremeter pumps.

My skimmer will be a Vertex 300 cone which I noticed will have a drain line. I am aware of people who use buckets or containers to collect excess skimmate which they empty every once in a while. My idea is to run more tubing from the skimmer into the basement that will drain out into the floor drain. The tubing would run about 30 feet across and 10 feet down. Is this even possible? Forgive my ignorance as this will be my first reef tank.

Thanks,
Tyler

mavgi
12/17/2010, 12:21 AM
It can work but it's better to extend the vinyl to 3/4" at this way you will be safety from any clog . when you go cross try to use angle (like 45 degree) also if you can do it when you go down. after that test it fill the cup with water and see how it's drain . when you fill the cup do it slow since anyway your skimmer fill that way.

Saltyfin
12/17/2010, 12:42 AM
it will work fine but unless you seal the drain the smell from the skimate will fill up the basement. i would think that putting it where you can run water every now and then would be better just so you can wash away standing skimmate

or what you can do is follow the line for the waste water to your continuous water change and that way the waste water will flush any skimmate

Kairi
12/17/2010, 07:44 AM
Maybe use the waste water from your RO/DI to flush the skimmate drain tube to keep things clean and better smelling.