PDA

View Full Version : Chemi-Pure

Outerlimits
12/17/2010, 10:10 AM
Did a search but never came up with much information to debunk, or confirm this. Was thinking about buying some corals from a fish rescue in my area. Sea Save is the name of the business. Seemed like a good Idea. Once I started reading some of the information on the site, I came up with this, in the Q/A section. Is this true?

QUESTION: TextField1:I used chemi-pure, chemiclean in my tank and it KILLED cephlipods, copods, my seahorses, and other inverts. WHAT HAPPENED?-jh

ANSWER: DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!! BEWARE of products that SAY they are good for Freshwater & Saltwater tanks. A Sea hair will take care of this problem without harming other creatures.

What they say: "Works equally well in marine or freshwater aquariums to remove heavy metals, copper, phenol, ammonia, and other nitrogenous waste." Tips from our Techs, Many of our customers enjoy fewer necessary water changes when they use Chemi-Pure. It's ability to sustain and stabilize high water quality over longer periods makes it quite popular with discus and reef keepers. Contains no phosphates, algacides, or erythromycin succinate. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Keep away from children. do not ingest." HOOWEY!!!

They also recommend doing a 20% water change after using it. So whats up with that? Erythromycin.(anti bacteria) (penicillin's) Look it up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythromycin OR http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/erythromycin This is the main ingrediant and WILL kill the Good bacteria as well. Erythromycin is an antibiotic used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. This antibiotic ONLY treats bacterial infections. Splitting hairs, there are other forms of Erythromycin. The use of such substances within your aquarium can have disastrous effects upon your nitrifying bacteria and cause your tank to crash, killing the inhabitants of your aquarium. Don't just give anything to your creatures without checking first.

denash24
12/17/2010, 11:24 AM
Did a search but never came up with much information to debunk, or confirm this. Was thinking about buying some corals from a fish rescue in my area. Sea Save is the name of the business. Seemed like a good Idea. Once I started reading some of the information on the site, I came up with this, in the Q/A section. Is this true?

QUESTION: TextField1:I used chemi-pure, chemiclean in my tank and it KILLED cephlipods, copods, my seahorses, and other inverts. WHAT HAPPENED?-jh

ANSWER: DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!! BEWARE of products that SAY they are good for Freshwater & Saltwater tanks. A Sea hair will take care of this problem without harming other creatures.

What they say: "Works equally well in marine or freshwater aquariums to remove heavy metals, copper, phenol, ammonia, and other nitrogenous waste." Tips from our Techs, Many of our customers enjoy fewer necessary water changes when they use Chemi-Pure. It's ability to sustain and stabilize high water quality over longer periods makes it quite popular with discus and reef keepers. Contains no phosphates, algacides, or erythromycin succinate. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Keep away from children. do not ingest." HOOWEY!!!

They also recommend doing a 20% water change after using it. So whats up with that? Erythromycin.(anti bacteria) (penicillin's) Look it up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythromycin OR http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/erythromycin This is the main ingrediant and WILL kill the Good bacteria as well. Erythromycin is an antibiotic used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections. This antibiotic ONLY treats bacterial infections. Splitting hairs, there are other forms of Erythromycin. The use of such substances within your aquarium can have disastrous effects upon your nitrifying bacteria and cause your tank to crash, killing the inhabitants of your aquarium. Don't just give anything to your creatures without checking first.

It says it does not contain Erythromycin.....

bertoni
12/17/2010, 03:43 PM
It says it does not contain one particular form of Erythromycin, unless they've changed the labels. The product most likely is an antibiotic of some form, likely Erythromycin.

This type of problem with Chemi-Clean is fairly common. The antibiotic kills the cyanobacteria, and the Cyanobacteria decay and release their cell contents, possibly including toxins, into the water column. The toxins or perhaps resulting oxygen depletion can cause a tank to crash.

mscarpena
12/17/2010, 04:15 PM
I have used chemi-clean many times before and never had any issues. Like anything you need to follow the directions. Add an air stone to maintain o2 levels and you'll be fine. Also a sea hare IME does not eat cyannobacteria. Also they say it is not an antibiotic. I would not use an antibiotic in any reef tank. Also will not kill nitifying bacteria.

mscarpena
12/17/2010, 04:16 PM
I have heard bad things about chemi pure. Also seems like this guy used both at the same time.

bertoni
12/17/2010, 04:27 PM
I don't think they say anywhere that Chemi-Clean is not an antibiotic. It might be an oxidizer, which likely would have about the same effect. Lots of people are successful with this type of product, at least temporarily. I've dosed tanks twice without problems, although I wouldn't use them again.