View Full Version : recommended readings

bitts
12/17/2010, 04:42 PM
I have recently read. several books.

Meiobenthology: The Microscopic Motile Fauna of Aquatic Sediments

Ecology of Marine Sediments

Microbial Ecology of the Oceans

captive seawater fishes

would greatly appreciate similar recommendations.

JHemdal
12/17/2010, 08:28 PM
Where did you find a copy of Spotte's Captive Seawater Fishes? That book is like $300 on Amazon, IIRC. I have a copy myself, purchased many years ago, before the price got inflated. If you have $500 to drop, I would suggest Stoskopf's "Fish Medicine".
For free, try looking online for a pdf download of "the Elasmobranch Husbandy Manual" - the topic is sharks and rays, but it covers a lot of additional advanced material. I think it is available through multiple bit torrent sites. I normally abhor these sites, but since that manual was free to begin with, there is no copyright infringement.

Walter Adey's "Dynamic Aquaria" is another important book.

Jay Hemdal

bitts
12/17/2010, 10:25 PM
sorry. double post.

bitts
12/17/2010, 10:43 PM
Believe it or not, I found them through the library. They also had a copy of P.R.Escobal's aquatic system Engineering. Thank you for the recommendation of Stoskopf's work. I will be seeing if there is a copy I can beg, barrow or well maybe not steal. Hopefully I have the same luck at the library for this one.

Are there others that can by grouped in this class of reading. Perhaps those that one should read as a second step after the standardized, must reads of Fenner & Calfo.

JHemdal
12/18/2010, 01:32 PM
Ed Noga's Fish Disease book costs less than Stoskopf's book, but has really good information. The whole Advanced Aquarist Online Magazine is available free on the Internet, and now in bound versions through Amazon. I know this is sacrilege, but I don't read much by Anthony Calfo or Bob Fenner. Scott Michael's books are better IMO because he uses his own experience, but ALSO reviews scientific literature for information. Of course, Scott mostly writes about fish natural history and husbandry, so it is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. For Reef aquariums, I'm partial to Delbeek and Sprung's work.

Jay