PDA

View Full Version : PFO VS Cheto

Holyreefer
12/17/2010, 08:48 PM
for the very 1st time im able to grow cheato but ive got some hair algae growing all in my tank. The cheato is currently help with Nitrates at a 0 rate my question is if i put the pfo in wont that kill the cheato along with the hair alage?

So how would i do both?

Montreal Ray
12/17/2010, 08:52 PM
I have friends who run both with no issues. Cheato still grows lilke weeds.

I persoanlly do not run pfo, my cheato and fuge set-up keep my Nitrates and Phos. undetacable.

Ray

Fishamatank
12/17/2010, 09:35 PM
What is pfo?

Montreal Ray
12/17/2010, 10:40 PM
What is pfo?

heh! I never even noticed the typo

GFO (PhosBan)

Holyreefer
12/17/2010, 11:42 PM
my bad lol ok thanks guys

wrott
12/17/2010, 11:49 PM
A little HA is OK. Keep running the GFO or better "PHOSBAN", and change the media every 2 weeks if you really want to kill algae--if you have Acros--- check ALK every hr after starting the new batch of pHosBan--it will deplete the Alk in an hour--have buffer ready.

Fishamatank
12/18/2010, 08:23 AM
I run GFO and have chaeto. No issues. I only change the GFO every 4-6 weeks as I've been running it since the tank started and it is really just there for maintenance, not to reduce nutrients.

Mr. Right
12/18/2010, 09:07 AM
A little HA is OK. Keep running the GFO or better "PHOSBAN", and change the media every 2 weeks if you really want to kill algae--if you have Acros--- check ALK every hr after starting the new batch of pHosBan--it will deplete the Alk in an hour--have buffer ready.

Really I never heard of GFO depleting alkalinity. Thanks for the info. Did you read this in a article?

KBear
12/18/2010, 09:32 AM

Well, that's just great. I set up a new reactor last night and went straight to bed not even thinking about it, and now I'm stuck at work (reading reef central :P).

When I looked at the tank this morning, everything was open and looking good, so hopefully it didn't drop too much. My alk was 10 on thursday night. I'll post up the new result when I get home.

wrott
12/18/2010, 12:59 PM
I run a TLF 550 reactor on my 120g, and fill it ~1/3 full--a lot of ROWApHos, and my Alk definitely is effected.
It makes me worry about the Acros mainly, but I don't believe that I have seen any corals decline in health from using GFO. I keep my alk pretty low, 2.8-3.0 mEq/L, so you may not notice the impact.