PDA

View Full Version : Goldentail Moray Eel (Gymnothorax miliaris) Question

cakemanPA
12/18/2010, 08:49 AM
I have been looking at a couple different eels. And I think that this where I am heading. I have kept a snowflake and a zebra many years ago. But have no experience with these guys. I know that they are no good with inverts. Which is no biggie since I can't keep them in my FOWLR. My main concern is with my Maroon Clowns. Are they destined to become a meal? Or if I keep the eel fed well are they ok? The other fish should all be ok I think. Anyone have experience with these eels?

Thanks in advance

Cracken
12/18/2010, 09:08 AM
I have had 2 goldentail morays. One jumped last january, and the other i have had for the last six or seven months. Both eels have been housed with false percula clowns, and neither made a meal of them. My current one i find very lazy because the food has to be right in front of him for him to eat it. I also do have my second eel housed with a fire shrimp and there have been no problems.

reefman8471
12/18/2010, 11:40 AM
Was the Fire Shrimp introduced before the eel?

James

Cracken
12/18/2010, 06:21 PM
Now crazy as this may sound, no it was not. And at first the eel stayed away but then after the shrimp would pounce on the eels back, the eel allowed to clean its body entirely. Including its face, as far as i know there has been no mouth action

StayPuft
12/19/2010, 07:03 AM
I've had a goldtail moray for 10 months. Really cool eel, very active for an eel, always likes to look out when people go by the tank. Everyone loves it so much, it's become like a family pet. Even when my mother comes to visit, the first thing she looks for is the eel. My wife, who hated eels, loves this eel!

As far as agressiveness... it isn't. lol This eel even lets the cleaner shrimp steal food from its mouth! I can't say I have any really small fish in the tank with it, but from what I've seen of it, I'd say your clowns are safe.

LukFox
12/19/2010, 01:14 PM
I had one for a couple years before selling him because the community got too aggressive for him. Very peaceful eels that can really get pushed around at feeding time by intimidating fish. I kept him with a pair of percula clowns for that entire time and things were fine until one day the male went missing. He was not the only fish capable of eating the clown, though, so it was not necessarily his doing. A male maroon would be larger than a male percula anyway, so I would go for it. Keep the eel well fed.

cakemanPA
12/20/2010, 05:13 AM
I had always kept my snowflake fed well. Even though feeding was a challenge with my Banana Wrasse. He tries to take food from my Huma Huma constantly. But when he is otherwise occupied the Banana is not too much of a butthead. I may be placing that order tomorrow.

aldiver311
12/20/2010, 06:45 AM
I have had both the 3 golden banana eel and 3 goldtails. I'm on my 4th goldtail now. The ones from Brazil are much more yellow than the ones here in Fl. The yellow morph seems to acclimate better to aquarium life than the regular goldtails. All the goldtails that I've owned I caught myself in the keys. The last Banana eel I had was from DD. Did great. I will say this about these eels. Between the two diff. color morphs of the miliarus they never ate or tried to eat any of my fish. I've owned at one time or another alot of diff eels. In my exp. theses are the best for a comm. tank. Hoplfully the Brazilan Goldtail takes to aquarium life better than the carribean. keep your lids tight they will get out. I was considering geting the one on DD just to see if the Brazilan ones do better. What I mean by acclimating better is that they never seem to settle in, always trying to get out of the tank. I lost one when I turned my back for 5 seconds. Jumped out and I did not see it. The one I have now I've had since Oct. caught him on my last diving trip to the keys. He has already managed to jump out once already while I was cleaning the tank.

olemiss reb
12/20/2010, 07:38 PM
Did you order the one off of Divers den?

eland
12/20/2010, 09:59 PM
I bought the golden tail eel this afternoon. This will be my first eel so I'm really looking forward to Wednesday when he arrives. He is going in my 320G with a pair of Crosshatch Triggers and some big Tangs. I have been looking on the web for helpful tips on keeping him happy for the last week or so. Any helpful tips would be welcomed.

StayPuft
12/21/2010, 05:26 AM
I bought my goldentail about 10 months ago from Divers Den and I think it took to the tank (150gal) very well. It ate on the first day and it seems really content with a number of caves in the tank. Since it's the only eel, it has free roam and the other fish don't bother with it. It's grown quite a bit in this time too!

eland
12/21/2010, 09:04 AM
My tank is 48" x 96" but I don't have a top. Should I hurry up and make something before my Golden Tail comes in?

StayPuft
12/21/2010, 09:23 AM
Yes, your tank needs to have some type of cover. Even if you use eggcrate, make sure you weigh it down.

Here's mine when I first got it, in the QT. It's a lot thicker now.

http://www.resincreations.com/tank/eel2.jpg

olemiss reb
12/21/2010, 09:40 AM
I use eggcrate on my g moringas tank, weighted down with some marble strips. The opening is secured with fishing string and clothespins. They would push the crate up before I added the strips.

cakemanPA
01/15/2011, 10:43 AM
My eel was delivered this morning from Diver's Den. He is exploring already. I will try to feed it later today. Very cool coloration! I will try to get some pictures if he does not hide.

rssjsb
01/15/2011, 11:29 AM
Good luck! These are really sweet fish.

cakemanPA
01/16/2011, 07:22 PM
I got the first meal in to my Golden Tail. He ate 4 small silversides and a few krill. Hr is a piggy.

kirkaz
01/17/2011, 12:23 PM
I had one for a couple years before selling him because the community got too aggressive for him. Very peaceful eels that can really get pushed around at feeding time by intimidating fish.

Agreed, I would probably sell mine if it would not be such a nightmare to catch him. He is a challenge to keep well fed because of the aggressive eaters I have. Beautiful Eel, but my previous Snowflake was a much more aggressive eater.

Mine loves Shrimp, not a huge fan of silversides.

DpsiQ00
01/31/2014, 07:51 AM
Does anyone know how to tell male from female?

Rip_tide
10/19/2015, 07:52 AM
I have a Brazilian Gymnothorax Miliaris, and Gus is probably the laziest eel ever. He eats well, occasionally swims about the tank (125g) but for the most part just sticks his head out of the cave and watches me. He is fully grown (around 2 feet), and eats almost anything, from silversides to shrimp to scallops. That being said, the only issue I've ever had with him is that he loves to try to snag PE Mysis, and accidentally caught my 3" flame angel. But he realized his mistake, and my angel only has a little discoloration on his belly from the incident. As far as I can tell, if well fed they won't harm a fly. He even runs away when my scribbled rabbitfish swims too close to his burrow.

Megistos
10/20/2015, 10:08 AM
Holy thread necro, Batman

onebberr
04/28/2016, 01:25 PM
Does anyone have a lead on one of these Moray's? I have been looking for M.Pavonia for some time with no luck. The big online sellers don't list them. If anyone know's of a LFS who is willing to ship please instant message me. At the same time if anyone knows a supplier who usually has choice moray varieties I would love to contact them.
empty tank set up for a moray jut waiting for the right one.

Thanks B