PDA

View Full Version : How fast should I raise Alk

newbie916
12/18/2010, 11:07 AM
I just tested both my tanks and the alk is pretty low. Both are mixed reefs with mostly sps, but have a nice collection of chalices and zoas. My chemistry got knocked out of whack, since I bought a large collection of chalices from a local reefer 4 weeks ago.

I usually add 5 ml of 2parts Bi-ionic daily to my 24 gallon and 25ml of 2parts to my 95 gallon daily. Here are my readings from this morning and I added a dose of Coral Builder, which is an alk buffer to raise each tank by 1dkh.

95 gallon:

SG:1.026
Calcium: 490
Alk: 8
Mg: 1400

24 gallon

SG:1.026
Calcium: 470
Alk: 6

After adding the buffer the Alk is now reading 9 in the 95 gallon, but the 24 gallon is at 7 right now. I'm not too worried about the 95 gallon because it's normal range is 9-9.5, but the 24 gallon is much lower than the 9.5 that I usually keep it at. However, the corals look fine with great color and polyp extension. My concern is how fast should I raise it and should I not dose the 2-parts today? I'm planning to raise it 1dkh daily, so not to shock the corals. Does this sound correct?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

newbie916
12/18/2010, 11:12 AM
Forgot to mention that I'm using a ELOS Alk test kit.

HighlandReefer
12/18/2010, 11:22 AM
Usually the recommendation is not to increase your alk by more than 2 dKH per day, but 1 dKH may be safer. Keep in mind that it is not unusual to find tanks consuming 1-2 dKH per day, so you may need to increase the amount of alk supplement to actually increase it the 1 dKH depending on tank consumption. ;)

HighlandReefer
12/18/2010, 11:29 AM
Another thing to keep in mind, is that when using high pH alk supplements (alk buffers) you need to watch the pH increase caused by these buffers. Adding to much alk buffer at one time can increase your pH too high (over 8.5 pH units). In many cases it is best to dose smaller amounts several times a day to prevent the pH from increasing too much.

Using regular baking soda, will increase your alk level without raising your pH too much, so is safer for this purpose especially when raising your alk level a significant amount. ;)

bertoni
12/18/2010, 02:50 PM
Since the tank has stony corals that might be touchy, I agree with limiting the change to 2 dKH per day. There's no hurry, though. The tank should be fine at 7 or above. :)

oscar.millan
12/18/2010, 11:36 PM
Nothing good happens fast in our hobby. 2 dKH sounds like a good number per day.

bertoni
12/19/2010, 12:47 AM
I should have added that using a low-pH supplement like baking soda is very useful when making large changes. B-Ionic might change the pH enough to be a problem.