PDA

View Full Version : Can Corals kill fish?

karaim
12/18/2010, 02:10 PM
I have a 300 gallon tank w/ 100 gallon sump. It is a FOWLR tank. I have NO experience whatsoever with reefs.

A friend of mine's tank broke and I had to take 5 of his corals and an anemone or they would die. Since I have a FOWLR (triggers, puffers)...I put them in my sump for now.

My question is until I can find a better home for them, should I be worried about the corals (all soft corals, although I am not sure exactly which ones) releasing toxins into my tank???

Also, I know that if the anemone dies, it could release toxins. Should I be concerned about this?

My main goal is the protection of my fish.

Fishamatank
12/18/2010, 02:20 PM
No, but the nem and everything else will eventually die in the sump without proper lighting, then you have a problem on your hands.

karaim
12/18/2010, 03:09 PM
I know...it is only for a few days.

GiantBen
12/18/2010, 03:58 PM
The fish could kill the corals

Fretfreak13
12/18/2010, 04:09 PM
Did your friend have any source of lighting that they could let you borrow? That had to have something to keep them alive. Do you know what kind of anemone it is? Some are much more fragile than others. IMO, the softies should be fine for a couple days, but I'd watch the nem closely.

Gary Majchrzak
12/18/2010, 04:14 PM
Also, I know that if the anemone dies, it could release toxins. Should I be concerned about this?
certain anemones can kill fishes

LockeOak
12/18/2010, 05:16 PM
The corals won't hurt the fish and they probably don't have enough biomass to mess anything up if they were to die. Unless the anemone's huge I wouldn't worry much about that either. The biggest problem is just transfer stress, whenever you move animals from tank to tank sometimes things die. They can go without proper lighting for a few days without a problem. Just put the anemone in a calm area of the sump, (a desk lamp wouldn't be a bad idea if you have one) and don't bother it until you're ready to move it to its new home.