PDA

View Full Version : How to set up a QT

hermesfansf
12/19/2010, 03:16 PM
Guys, I need some advices on setting up a QT. Please let me know what kind of chemicals/medicine that i should put into the tank, and also the water parameters.

I am planning to add a black tang onto my main tank. Therefore, really need to make sure the tang is healthy and clean. A QT will definitely help.

muttley000
12/19/2010, 05:37 PM
I would make the water parameters match the display, unless the fish is being shipped, in which case you may have to match them somewhere between the shipping water and the display, and then slowly bring the QT to display parameters. There is a lot to read/learn/decide on the subject and you will want to do a lot of research before hand and make sure your ducks are in a row when the fish arrives. I personally wouldn't recomend medicating unless something shows itself. I would at least have quinine sulfate, formalin and meth blue on hand, others may add to this list.

Sk8r
12/19/2010, 05:43 PM
Read this: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1939508 It gives qt procedure in detail.
I personally do not advocate medicating any 'well' fish. Set up as qt, take jump precautions, and treat only if you have seen (and most importantly, correctly identified) a problem.

[welcome]

Palting
12/19/2010, 06:19 PM
Just went throught the link Sk8r provided. Great info, great thread!!

A black tang certainly is not a cheap fish. $800-$900!!! I have a purple, not as expensive, but expensive enough for me. I didn't QT any fish, including the purple, and he got Ich several months down the line. Me, with that experience, and Tangs being prone to Ich, would not only QT but also do hyposalinity on the fish.