PDA

View Full Version : big HH id

hayes_101
12/19/2010, 04:34 PM
I picked up some live rock and let it stand in a tank for a few weeks just to make sure it would be safe to place in my main tank, well today I noticed a very large brittle star. I do not have a camera at the moment (sick kid long drive even longer story).
it is mostly black and the center piece has a few grayish spots over it, it is very spiny and at the ends it has white and black bands. I have gone to a few sites to see if I can find a pick but I cant. it does not bother my corals or my fish. its arms are about 6" long and it seams very well fed! any one got any ideas?

Moort82
12/20/2010, 03:00 AM
There are just so many species of brittlestars and a lot look the same. I doubt you'll find an accurate id but most are safe to the best of my knowledge, although they do tend to be opourtunistic.
If your cuc start to go missing, or you see it hanging from the roof of a cave with its legs dangling, or acting like a tripod and trying to fall on fish, then you might need to take it out but they tend to just be excellent scavengers.

hayes_101
12/20/2010, 05:23 AM
ya I read that 2 I think most of my fish are to large for it and I will be taking the time to spot feed him larger portions of food. the worst case scenario is I place him in my sup till I can get him to the pet store for a credit. but till then I will enjoy it, they are fun to watch

hayes_101
12/20/2010, 03:47 PM
it may not mater what kind it is I think it escaped! I only have a 55 gal and the thing is about the size of a dinner plate and I cant find it any where......... so the search is on