PDA

View Full Version : hot glue

S13<3
12/20/2010, 09:04 AM
has anyone used hot glue in ther aquarium and is it gonna be safe for corals? i tried using superglue to glue an eggcrate baffle in a plastic tub and the superglue did not adhere to the plastic tub and came clean off even after drying over night, i dont have silicone nor the patience to wait over night again so am hoping hot glue will be safe

redfishblewfish
12/20/2010, 10:44 AM
Hot glue is Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA). I would guess that it would not be a problem in your tank. However, it will not stick very well to eggcrate and the plastic tub. You might wish to try an epoxy. I'm surprised the superglue did not work???

reggiepe
12/20/2010, 10:48 AM
I have used hot glue for a couple of years in my tanks and have seen no negative results. My two most recent projects were...making frag racks and creating a rock wall in my nano. I used hot glue to hold the rubble to the eggcrate and then used pond foam to fill the cracks.

noahm
12/20/2010, 10:54 AM
Hot glue doesn't work well on very smooth surfaces if there is any stress on it. If you are going to use it, maybe use some rough sandpaper on each surface, or even drill a few tiny holes for it to go into/through. If there is very little stress on the joint, it will probably work ok. Also, make sure it gets fully hot. Personally, I would use some 2 part epoxy like you see in hose syringe type applicators.

reggiepe
12/20/2010, 11:06 AM
I should have added how I use it with egg crate....I put on globs of it, almost let it run like an epoxy. So when it ispouring on I lit it go around the egg crate on both sides. Touching itself and creating a hold on the piece of plastic...sealing it in. Holds fast that way.

S13<3
12/20/2010, 11:38 AM
thanks for the replys guys, i just got it all done and is holding STRONG, i will deff be using hot glue more often lol

spamreefnew
12/20/2010, 02:37 PM
hot glue on plastic? and its holding? are you sure?

S13<3
12/20/2010, 04:27 PM
yeah, im 100% sure :/
i glued eggcrate to a small plastic tub, the first time i messed up and put the piece backwards, i was able to get it off but it was very difficult and took a long time without breaking anything, it was VERY stuck and deff on ther :)
i use a heavy duty gun like this http://toolboxblog.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/3/files/NGgallery/misc-shop-tools/hotglue1.jpg
most of the smaller variety that u push the glue with ur finger are for "crafts" and barely get the glue to temp so ppl dont go burning themselves lol

S13<3
12/24/2010, 09:45 AM
did some more gluing yesterday, so far it doesnt stick to vinyl tubing or pump adapters

The CHop
12/24/2010, 03:13 PM
I have always had a great time with super glue but you have to get the gel kind. The regular dont work that well. As for hot glue works great even on plastic but your right you have to get the commercial grade glue gun gets the glue way hotter. Also if you use the glue sticks that are for dent repair they work way better than the usual ones you find in the craft store. Most autostores stores care them at least thats my experience with both.

smoyer
12/25/2010, 01:29 AM
I use superglue and silicone on my baffles. Superglue on or near the corners and silicone over top and all the way around. I dont make it a habit but this can get you up and running in a shorter amount of time.