PDA

View Full Version : water level uneven - of concern?

Anemone0524
12/20/2010, 09:56 AM
Just got my new rimless setup and filled, dimensions 60x30x20. I noticed that the water level on the back side is 1.75" away from the rim but on the front side is 1.5". The floor is sagging by .25" apparently.

I think i'm fine one structural integrity of the floor (expected a little sagging), but is this going to be an issue for the tank itself? How common is this?

Thoughts are welcomed. Need to know if this is a bigger issue than i think it is.

Thanks

jefathome
12/20/2010, 10:00 AM
Yes, it is a bigger deal than you think....
I would shim up the stand to make it all level. Especially with a Rimless tank, there are gonna be a lot of pressures on those sides..

I had a tank burst on my before and it was NO FUN. MY tank was not out of level but I hear that being out of level is a main reasons for failure.

EdSnyder
12/20/2010, 10:00 AM
Did the floor sag before the tank was there? If so, I would just shim it level.

greech
12/20/2010, 10:02 AM
With that size tank and it being rimless I would be safe and level it out with shims or whatever you need to. A 1/4" is not too bad but I still would be worried. My first tank was off by about the same (but left to right instead of front to back) and it cracked right down the front pane after a couple of months.

Beaun
12/20/2010, 10:11 AM
If the floor sagged after you put the tank in, then you should look in the basement to see if you need to support the floor a little. If it was already uneven then shims will be fine.

slapshot
12/20/2010, 10:14 AM
That is a big deal. Drain it immediately if necessary or shim to level. You are in danger of hearing that giant loud POP!

Anemone0524
12/20/2010, 06:42 PM
update:

Spent most of the day installing floor jacks and incrementally jacking up the floor to this point:

Front Left to Back Left - off by 3mm
Front Left to Front Right - off by 2mm
Front Right to Back Right - off by 4mm
Back to Back - even (??)

I can't raise the floorjacks any more. At this point I can either leave it, testing fate, or drain 150 gallons of water into untold number of buckets and Brute cans, and hope that the weight of a 150 gallon tank 3/4" glass with sand/rock/stand is light enough to jam 2mm worth of shims under each front side. Is that really my best option?

Here's a video to illustrate the differential (i'm may be the only one who can see it since i've been staring at it all day x_x )

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid796.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fyy244%2Fanemone0524%2FRimless%2FMVI_1848.mp4">

geo11
12/20/2010, 08:26 PM
floor jacks in the basement are probably the best choice...last thing you need is an exploding tank at night!

Seajuice
12/20/2010, 08:26 PM
FWIW, My 90g has been up and running for about 4 yrs and the dif. btwn the front and back is.....about .5in (1.5cm)
I was very concerned about it, and I hope I just haven't jinxed myself. but it's been that way for awhile. I have a 90g "All Glass" tank
I will never buy another All Glass stand that's for sure. The pressed wood is junk

biecacka
12/20/2010, 08:41 PM
shim it or else over time it will put stress on the seams.........

mrabolli
12/21/2010, 08:13 AM
FWIW,I will never buy another All Glass stand that's for sure. The pressed wood is junk

What happened with the wood? I have a 200g marineland deep demension Im in process of setting up soon and I have it in the original stand but I gotta tell ya. I dont trust the stand from the manufacturer. We are talking about what? 2000 lbs? the stand just doesnt look visably up to the job. I would like some 2x4's in there.

jeff@zina.com
12/21/2010, 09:30 AM
I would like some 2x4's in there.
Put them in then. :)

Jeff

Anemone0524
12/22/2010, 02:41 PM
well, i've all but completely fixed the issue. It is possible to shim while the tank is full, as i just found out. I have carpeting underneath the tank so with a little diligence, and a hammer, the shims went right under. They weren't wooden but instead were hard plastic. Between the floorjacks and plastic shims, the differential is now about 1mm, which i can live with.

Thanks

RVANANO
12/22/2010, 02:46 PM
I was able to slowly hammer wooden shims under my 120 while it was full as well.

Floowid
12/22/2010, 04:12 PM
Here is one I learned to dumb way. How close is your tank to the wall? You say it is on carpet, when they install carpet the put in a tack rail that is exaclty 1/4" tall, if you put your tank too close to the wall, the back sits on the tack rail and raises the back up 1/4". If this is what is happening, then you may be placing extra stress on your floor jacking up the joists.

weezyfella
12/23/2010, 05:40 PM
I think I should be concerned as well, my water level on the left side is 1/3" lower then the right side of the tank, front to back is the same. I didn't think it would of been to much of an issue.