PDA

View Full Version : A couple more start up questions

MarinePaethor
12/20/2010, 10:54 AM
First of all I'd just like to thank everyone that posts on RC. This site has become a treasure trove of knowledge to me as I get into this hobby, especially because every answer I find raises more questions to consider. :fun2:

I have just a couple questions about the 46g FOWLR tank that I am establishing.

What are some good inverts to get into my tank in the beginning? Are there any "standard" inverts that all tanks should have? I don't quite have my fish line up picked out, so I am looking for inverts that will get along with most fish if possible.

I also have a question about aquascaping. I fully realize that corals, mushrooms, etc. are on a whole different level, requiring more experienced care. Other than live rock, what else could I use to add color, shape, etc. to aquascape besides decorative rock? Is there a good way to get a reef tank look that only requires a beginners touch?

Thank you very much for any advice and info that anyone can offer.

thegrun
12/20/2010, 11:28 AM
"Standards" are snails, hermit crabs and shrimp, all dependent upon which fish you get, as some will eat your inverts. I love cleaner (skunk) shrimp, one of the more enjoyable animals to watch.
You may want to consider mushroom corals and zoas, they are not at all difficult to keep and add a lot of color to the rock. Neither require feeding and can get by on less intense lighting than many other corals. Both are tolerant of less than pristine water conditions, ideal starter corals.

epic.exposures
12/20/2010, 11:53 AM
"Standards" are snails, hermit crabs and shrimp, all dependent upon which fish you get, as some will eat your inverts. I love cleaner (skunk) shrimp, one of the more enjoyable animals to watch.
You may want to consider mushroom corals and zoas, they are not at all difficult to keep and add a lot of color to the rock. Neither require feeding and can get by on less intense lighting than many other corals. Both are tolerant of less than pristine water conditions, ideal starter corals.

I agree with TheGrun, I also enjoy emerald crabs, and candy cane shrimp. Don't be intimidated by corals, and experience. Any hobbyist can keep a mushroom and a zoa, ricordea is a wonderfull option here a well. Just make sure you have a decent light (MHO or T5) and a bottle of zooplankton ( a couple drops a day). Have your LFS check your water for calcium. If its good get a couple of these corals and let them take over the rock. Than you have mastered your aquascaping. Don't let corals scare you, they are not difficult. The stoney corals are very difficult, stay away from them.

Enjoy!

epic.exposures
12/20/2010, 11:54 AM
Also be carefull with zooplankton, too much can cause a nasty algae bloom. Just a couple drops will make your corals grow crazy fast.