PDA

View Full Version : Reusing Gaskets

progman2000
12/21/2010, 08:17 AM
I just bought a 150g Oceanic tank this weekend that has been established for @ 7 yrs. I broke it down and am in the process of rebuilding it now. Someone told me I should buy new gaskets for the overflows. I've been to Home Depot and can't find them (and frankly I'm a little freaked out using something from HD in a new reef tank). Am I ok to just use the gaskets that were already in the tank? They look fine to me, and I've kept them in the sump so they wouldn't dry out at all.

TIA!

der_wille_zur_macht
12/21/2010, 08:25 AM
If it were me, I would replace them without hesitation. It's an older system and this downtime is an opportunity you will not have once it's running. You won't find them at HD. You MAY find them at a local plumbing shop, but the simplest is probably just to order from a reef hobby vendor (most that sell the bulkheads will also sell gaskets for a buck or two).

aussie_chicago
12/21/2010, 01:23 PM
I would change all bulkheads now before you fill the tank, take advantage of this situation, as once its filled, its a pain. For $40 or so , just change them !