PDA

View Full Version : Redo PVC or not Redo PVC that is the question

malalite
12/21/2010, 09:55 AM
I am still plumbing my system, and on my latest leak test I have just 1 left. To accuratly describe, it is leaking so slow that overnight it made the floor damp under the tank. You can not see it dripping as it took overnight to do a couple of drops. I would not even worry about it but it is my return line so it is under pressure. To redo it I would have to make 3 cuts as the leak is on a T connected to a reducing elbow. My only other option that I could think of is to do http://jbweld.net/products/water.php which sounds like it would work.
Part of me wants to redo the whole piece the other part is hesitant due to difficulty getting to the location to cut the plumbing.
I want to know what others would do, should I just bite the bullet and do the work? Would using a patch on the spot just come back to bite me?

Thanks

masharp1126
12/21/2010, 10:03 AM
Just my opinion, but I would replace it.

I'm currently plumbing my tank and first leak test, I had 4 different leaks. Luckily 2 of them were unglued connections. Easily fixed. One leaky bulkhead, again easily fixed. But the last one was a single union ball valve that I could not fix. Took it apart numerous times, applied silicone, tried everything I could think of and couldn't get it to stop. So I ended up cutting it out, above and below, and replacing the whole thing. Luckily, mine was in an area that wasn't too hard to get to. Just sucked having to drain and retest so many times. But now all is good.

jdpiii3
12/21/2010, 10:04 AM
I would redo it, any leak will get worse overtime and will most likely happen when your not there to fix it.

REEFERJACK
12/21/2010, 11:10 AM
I agree with the above post, just redo it and forget it. Remember that while it's a small leak now, the one thing that water does best (especially under pressure) is EROSION. Think.. Grand Cayon... lol

dogstar74
12/21/2010, 01:09 PM
Now deep in your heart, you already know the answer to this question don't you?

"One of the biggest tragedies in life is giving up what we want most for what we want now."

bc1281
12/21/2010, 03:16 PM
Try adding some extra glue first.

hllywd
12/21/2010, 10:40 PM
Fix it right.

alanbates12
12/21/2010, 11:02 PM
Man I'd fix the leak. Like someone else said it will only get worse at the most inappropriate time. I feel your pain as I just finished redoing my 180 gallon.

malalite
12/22/2010, 09:31 PM
I get the hint... I spent 3 hours... and ripped out the leak and replaced all the pipes... Now after 24 hours no leaks in the system... I am ready to empty out the test water and clean it all then start filling it with RO.... I think I knew all along I had to spend the time... thanks for telling me so I would do it... :-)

alanbates12
12/22/2010, 11:21 PM
Check out www.ipsf.com. This guy has some great stuff for starting up a new tank.

BASA
12/22/2010, 11:23 PM
Im glad you redid it... peace of mind is priceless!!!