PDA

View Full Version : Migrating from ACJr to Apex

vresor
12/21/2010, 10:35 AM
Suppose I have two tanks controlled by two ACJrs, each with their own sensors and DC8s. Can I simply buy an Apex monitor and network the sensors and DC8s into the single head unit? Like most things that sound too good to be true, there's got to be more to it.

swearint
12/21/2010, 10:45 AM
Yes, the Apex is backward compatible with the DC8/4s, however you miss out on some of the new functionality of the EB8s. From the sales page, it looks like the Apex uses the same temp probe as the ACjr, but the base module only supports one unless you add expansion modules (PM1,2,or 3). Any of the standard sensors (pH, ORP, etc) will work as well.

Todd

vresor
12/21/2010, 12:42 PM
So essentially I could buy one Apex monitor and a PM1 to allow a second temperature input. The two DC8s would network to the Apex to control the 120 VAC stuff. Am I missing anything? One tank has a Vortech MP10. How can the Apex modules control that model? Thanks Todd.

aquamanic
12/21/2010, 12:57 PM
You would need a WXM module for the VorTech (if it's wireless).

swearint
12/21/2010, 01:22 PM
Am I missing anything?
It would be a good idea to read through Alan's Unofficial Users Guide stickied at the top of the forum. I has a good breakdown of the hardware components and programming language/philosophy.

Todd

schwaggs
12/21/2010, 02:05 PM
So essentially I could buy one Apex monitor and a PM1 to allow a second temperature input. The two DC8s would network to the Apex to control the 120 VAC stuff. Am I missing anything? One tank has a Vortech MP10. How can the Apex modules control that model? Thanks Todd.

You need an Apex Display and an Apex Base Module. You cannot connect DC8s to the display, they are connected to the base module.