PDA

View Full Version : Best test kit manufacture?

aculross
12/21/2010, 11:15 AM
I'm wondering what the best (or top couple) of test kit manufactures are out there. I recently had some issues with varying Ca readings from two test kits and wonder what manufacture I should be going with.

Thanks.

kichimark
12/21/2010, 01:24 PM
who was the manufacturer of the tests you have been using?

ArmanS
12/21/2010, 01:35 PM
Many people use Salifert.

xlotus123x
12/21/2010, 02:45 PM
I've heard good things about Elos test kits. But they are more expensive than others.

TonyV
12/21/2010, 03:09 PM
Started with API, went to Elos after reading the negative comments on some of the forums, and then switched to Salifert because that's what my LFS pushes and I wanted to verify some of my test kits. I will never buy anything but Elos after trying out the Salifert. 2 for 2 test kits from Salifert have resulted in sub-par dropper bottles that leak or drip prematurely, especially the MG-1 bottle.

aculross
12/21/2010, 03:17 PM
I just bought a Salifert Ca test kit and it registers Ca at 500+. I think my old was was Aquarium Systems in which I was always fighting to get a reading above 400 so I continued to add ESV 2 part. I tested twice with the Salifert and got 500+ both times. I'm thinking it's correct and a little upset at the old values - just want to know who to buy at this point

bertoni
12/21/2010, 06:08 PM
I think we've seen problems with all of the test kits, at this point. I used Salifert for years, but some people had serious issues with a few batches of the alkalinity kit. I'm not very comfortable making strong recommendations at this point.

rbja
12/22/2010, 09:34 AM
My last 3 salifert alk test have been bad. The last one I just got in the mail yesterday. After it warmed up to room temp I tested the 7.2 dkh solution it turned pink at 5 dkh.

aculross
12/22/2010, 11:30 AM
Interesting - never knew that these kits are basically crap.

Habib
12/22/2010, 12:33 PM
My last 3 salifert alk test have been bad. The last one I just got in the mail yesterday. After it warmed up to room temp I tested the 7.2 dkh solution it turned pink at 5 dkh.

That is pretty strange, as far as the last one is concerned, since you give some data, for the KH solution to register a 7.2 solution as 5 about 30% of it should have been evaporated. Only to happen if tbe cap has not been tightened after use and kept open for a vey very long time.

More likely, if it had been frozen, the alkalinity part of the reference did not go in solution. It will redissolve if allowed to thaw, shaken for a minute , let it stand for an hour and shake again for a minute. The minute is overkill but it is a time procedure.

I would do that with all brand of kits reagents if been frozen.

Having said that, if you pm me your address we will have a new kit sent out, perhaps also a calcium one if you want. A new shipment is arriving today in the USA so the distributor should be able to send out just after Christmas.

CleanLivin
12/28/2010, 08:37 AM
For several weeks now I've been reading threads on what test kits to purchase for my new 150 gal setup. I'm not finding a clear answer.

Thus, my question:
What are the best METHODS of testing our reef tank variables?
Test kits, probes, etc.

My reading is giving me the impression that test probes are more accurate and consistent than test kits by Elos, Salifert, Lamotte, etc. Correct?

And I'm only interested in gear that is calibrated for salt water - I've read many claims that many of the test kits are for fresh water.

In short, I'm not that concerned about the cost of test gear as I am about the accuracy and consistency of the readings I get.

Suggestions are appreciated before I spend my money.

HighlandReefer
12/28/2010, 08:48 AM
Your question is the same as many other hobbyists ask in the Chemistry Forum. This includes all the test kits we use available as hobby grade. Each manufacturer claims their kits are accurate. Without going into all the chemistry involved it is impossible to ascertain which kit would be the most accurate in your particular tank system.

There are other variables involved which can throw off the test results & perhaps some of the test kits may account for some of these factors within the design of their kit. These hobby grade test kits can't account for all the possible factors (which throw of results) found in a reef aquarium when trying to determine the carbonate/bicarbonate available for coral growth.

For the most part, we hobbyists do not know what the borate level is in our tank. Some hobbyists dose borates in supplements. Some salt mixes may be high or low in borate, we know this from some simple experiments we have seen completed in the past. Borate is included in the final outcome of the alk tests used.

Suspended calcium carbonate is another source of interference for alk test kits. All tanks have suspended calcium carbonate according to the results seen from what is removed using skimmers. As Boomer has pointed out, there are possibly a lot of supplements that hobbyists use which contain chemicals that can interfere with alk kits results.

The micro-organisms in our tank can have levels of calcium carbonate as well, which can throw off our results.

Habib has pointed out that using sulfuric acid instead of hydrochloric acid in alk test kits can account for some error depending on the interference of other chemicals in our tank.

This list goes on.

Even when alk tests are completed in the lab, there are discrepancies among the lab scientists regarding proper test procedures & methods. This has evolved over the years to which test procedures and methods which are currently used. Error still exists even using the most expensive equipment.

The testing procedures used by the hobbyists for these hobby grade test kits can vary considerably. Determining the final end point when color changes occur can be viewed differently by each hobbyist. This has been seen at my club when we provided a seminar on how to use these kits. It was not surprising that hobbyists had discrepancies of 2 dKH using the same kit. Its nice that some manufacturers provide standards now, which helps educate hobbyists for determining the final end point. Also, as Habib has pointed out that many hobbyists do not understand how to proper mix the solution after adding each drop of the titrant. Without proper mixing, this can cause quite a bit of error.

Luckily, according to the research I have read, alk levels between 6 dKH up to 18 dKH (possibly higher & lower) are not a problem for most coral. The recommended level is 7-11 dKH which was established for various reasons. If your alk level becomes too low your coral will suffer. Something to take into consideration when you choose to keep your alk level at the lower end regarding test kit errors. If your alk level becomes to high, than you will experience too much calcium carbonate precipitation on your tank glass and equipment. Something to take into consideration if you choose to keep your alk level at the high end. Using these visual ques can help to make sure your alk level is within the recommended guidelines when taking alk kit error into consideration.

My recommendation is to shoot for the middle of the recommended alk range (7-11 dKH), which should keep you in a good region for an alk level taking into consideration the needed carbonate/bicarbonate for proper coral growth & test kit error for all the various reasons noted above.

I believe that consistency in proper test kit procedure and maintaining an alk level within reason is the most important aspect.

Regarding the hobby grade probes, they don't seem to be that accurate either according to threads here on the Chemistry Forum.

CleanLivin
12/28/2010, 08:59 AM
Cliff,
"Regarding the hobby grade probes, they don't seem to be that accurate"
Are there industrial probes that would give me more accurate results than what the average reef junkie is using???

(tank will be mixed corals with decent load of fish)

Jack

HighlandReefer
12/28/2010, 09:11 AM
There is testing equipment and procedures used by chemists that will accomplish what hobbyists seem to want as far as accuracy. However, you will need a large lab with very expensive equipment, the proper training and much more time involved in the tests to accomplish this. Unless you have access to this equipment or are independently wealthy, for the average hobbyist, it is out of the question. ;)

FWIW, the upper level hobby grade kits seem to be adequate to maintain a fine reef system since we do have such a wide range that works for most parameters. For parameters like phosphate, I find that once the kits can't detect the phosphate, you then use the growth rate of algae on your tank glass as a guide. :)

CleanLivin
12/28/2010, 09:19 AM
Cliff,
Well, I'm the only person I know that can buy a lottery ticket and not have one number come up on it when the drawing is done, so "independent wealthy" is not on the horizon.

Back in the 80's when I started in reef (350gallon) I used all Lamotte test kits - expensive but the best at the time. (dropped out of reef keeping in 1994 and just getting back in.)

See they are still in business and just as expensive, but not out of the price range I'd be willing to pay for accurate/consistant results.

Who do you consider as "upper level"?

HighlandReefer
12/28/2010, 09:37 AM
:lol:

I have used API, Salifert and the Hach PO-19 low level phosphate kit. I have compared API to Salifert and find they both work as long as the kits are not too old with some discrepancy but not enough to worry about. For alk kits, I don't personally believe a 2 dKH discrepancy is a big deal as long as you shoot for the middle). I currently use Salifert for alk and occasionally check it using the acid titration method with good results. I find that when the Salifert kit can't detect phosphate then when compared to the much more expensive Hach PO-19 that indeed the phosphate level is below 0.03 ppm. These are comparisons and serve no use to determine accuracy since we don't know what the actual levels are without comparing a test kit to expensive lab testing. Mag kits are notoriously inaccurate due to the complications in the test procedure. A 200 ppm discrepancy is not uncommon. If you shoot for the middle of the range this is not a problem. Calcium kits can have discrepancy, but we have a wide range that works. 50 ppm calcium differences is not much and even 100 ppm can work if you shoot for the proper range. ;)

CleanLivin
12/28/2010, 03:10 PM
Did some research this afternoon - looks like Lamotte has two test kits that would cover most everything I'm initially interested in and both are calibrated for salt water: Kit# 4824-DR-LT that will get me calcium, Kh, magnesium and combo kit 3635-03, AQ4 that gets me ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, Alkalinity, carbon dioxide, dissolved oxygen and salinity. Not cheap BUT should be far more accurate than others I've looked at. Retail on these is $54 for the first and $285 for the combo - I'll will look for discounts.

Assuming I've not overlooked something, these should do it for me.

bertoni
12/28/2010, 08:19 PM
The salinity kit might not be all that useful for us. It detects only chloride, and saltwater has a lot more than that in it. I'd check whether the oxygen kit will work in saltwater, too, although oxygen generally isn't worth measuring. The carbon dioxide kit won't work in saltwater, as far as I understand.

CleanLivin
12/29/2010, 06:22 AM
The salinity kit might not be all that useful for us. It detects only chloride, and saltwater has a lot more than that in it. I'd check whether the oxygen kit will work in saltwater, too, although oxygen generally isn't worth measuring. The carbon dioxide kit won't work in saltwater, as far as I understand.

Jonathon,
Here is what the kits measure:
Test Kit AQ-5 (I mistakenly posted AQ-4 above - AQ-5 is what I'm thinking of ordering), 3636-03:
Octa-Slide
Comparator Tests

Range
Ammonia Nitrogen 0.0, 0.05, 0.1, 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 ppm NH3-N
Nitrate Nitrogen 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 4.0, 6.0, 8.0, 10.0 ppm NO3--N
Nitrite Nitrogen 0.05, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.8 ppm NO2--N

Direct Reading
Titrator Tests
Alkalinity (Total) 0-200 ppm as CaCO3 4.0 ppm
Carbon Dioxide 0-50 ppm CO2 1.0 ppm
-----------
Kit 4824-DR-LT
Calcium, Magnesium,
Total Hardness
1 drop = 10 ppm or 1 gpg CaCO3

bertoni
12/29/2010, 04:25 PM
The total hardness kit isn't useful. The alkalinity kit is fairly low range, but it covers the recommended zone. The carbon dioxide test won't work. I'd spring for a more appropriate alkalinity kit, personally.

alonglongtime
12/29/2010, 05:29 PM
I have to agree that kits are about as good as the person using them. That is, most of the time. Over the years I have tried kits from numerous manufacturers. I have tried Red Sea, Tropic Marin, API, LaMotte, Salifert, and others. About two years ago I was introduced to Elos kits. I am not going to argue with anyone that they are superior, but here is what I have found. I get consistent readings. I appreciate that immensely. If I take the time to maintain levels in my tank the test readings rarely vary enough to make me wonder what is going on. Another good point is that whenever I have had difficulty (in the beginning because I wasn't familiar with them) I called Elos here in the states and spoke with Jesse 925-600-8020(wk). He was very helpful. When I ordered online and got a broken kit and the online store would not replace it, Jesse did. No charge. Yes, the kits cost a bit more than some but I seem to get my money's worth from them. That is, I get more than 30 tests from one kit. I am certain that some other reef keepers are just as happy with API or Salifert or LaMotte as I am with Elos. It really comes down to preference IMHO. Find one that works for you. Stick with it until you hear that they are selling crap. It seems that is the way the hobby has been going the past 15 years or so. New companies start up, provide us with good quality, and then they get greedy and cheapen products when they have a following. Oh, I long for the good old days. LOL. I won't get on my soapbox and mention the new salt that is for "brick and mortar" stores only. It is sold there so they can compete with each other and not the internet stores. If you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I will sell you. Good luck with the test kits. Good luck with your tank and your critters.