PDA

View Full Version : Ever known a 'popped base' coral to grow a new base?

Sk8r
12/21/2010, 12:07 PM
I have 3 popped heads of a monster hammer that are loose in my tank. They have found places. The parent is, btw, doing fine. Two have been in the same place for 6 months. Has anyone here had a popped head actually develop a base?

thebanker
12/21/2010, 01:28 PM
Popped heads = polyp bailout?

My friend's frogspawn just bailed on it's stony stalk, and it's free living like an anemone. Very weird phenomenon...

mscarpena
12/21/2010, 05:41 PM
I had this happen and they started to, but then for some unknown reason they all died in like 2-3 days. They lived off the skeleton for like 6-7 months.

ritter6788
12/21/2010, 07:43 PM
I have a frogspawn that had a small head appear on the sandbed one day so I picked it up and it had a little stony base to it. I don't know the term for it but the main colony is doing the thing where it "drips" polyps off of it. I glued the small head onto a plug and the thing is actually starting to grow.
This is how I found it on the sandbed.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/ritter6788/IMG_0122.jpg

BFG
12/21/2010, 11:30 PM
This is the kind of 'problem' I wish happen to me. Checked around my hammer but there's no baby coral.

Sk8r
12/22/2010, 10:08 AM
These have been 'free' for over 2 years. I haven't hassled them to find out the state of their bases, but one has moved, about 9 months ago, to where it sits now. It's huge for what it is, but so are all the parent heads. The 'mama' coral has more heads than I can count---it's bigger than a basketball, and as soon as we get through the holidays I'm going to frag it because it's taking my rather small tank---and the heads are huge, over 2" across. Ditto the 'free' heads. So maybe there's a chance: frog and hammer grow well in this tank. I'd be really happy to have a few 'starts' that have a peculiar history in my tank.

mscarpena
12/24/2010, 11:36 AM
Dripping off is different than polyp bailout. I have had corals drip off the skeleton and they have been just fine because they do come with some skeleton attached. If it has been 2 years I would say your in the clear and the corals should have a skeleton base. Good luck and keep us posted.

thebanker
12/24/2010, 01:23 PM
Is "dripping off" basically budding a polyp that bails out? Never heard of this happening with anything other than nephthea.

kawicivic
12/24/2010, 10:05 PM
I had a piece drop in my temporary tank. It is at my parents house so I do not know if it dripped off with skeleton or just bailed off (I have seen both in the past and never knew anyone who actually had one survive) I did the same thing as ritter and glued my piece to rock. It sat on the live rock for probably a month and one day when I was over there cleaning I found it. When I got it in my hand I realized there was a piece of skeleton so I have glued it down. Last I was over there it had tripled in size and is growing very well. I have found that even the little nubs on the stalks do pretty well once you get them clipped off and onto their own piece of live rock. I haven't decided if its because of optimal conditions or if they somehow "know" (sounds kind of dumb) that they are no longer part of the colony and its survival instinct.

mscarpena
12/27/2010, 07:41 AM
Dripping off to me is when a new head with a skeletal base detachs from the parent colony and starts a new colony. Not polyp bail out. Polyp bailout is when the fleshy part and no skeleton drops off. I by no means think dripping off is a technical or proper term, but it was used in this thread so I stuck with it. Also never heard it called anything before so dripping off sounds good to me.

ritter6788
12/30/2010, 12:46 PM
Dripping off to me is when a new head with a skeletal base detachs from the parent colony and starts a new colony. Not polyp bail out. Polyp bailout is when the fleshy part and no skeleton drops off. I by no means think dripping off is a technical or proper term, but it was used in this thread so I stuck with it. Also never heard it called anything before so dripping off sounds good to me.

Just took this pic of my frogspawn. It's doing it again.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/ritter6788/fe411965.jpg

Elysia
01/04/2011, 03:32 PM
I had a trumpet coral that did polyp bail-out on me, along with a blasto. I eventually lost track of the blastos when I moved the tanks, but they lived free of any skeleton for well over a year. The trumpets also continue to live (it is just about to reach a year for some of them.) Two were doing very well and enlarging, but I accidently punctured one when I was moving it and it developed a fatal brown jelly infection. I do not have much hope for any of the polyps, as none of mine have ever created any kind of skeleton after bail-out. But I never had a head live for two years sans-skeleton, either. Hope it is positive in your situation.

Sk8r
01/06/2011, 03:41 PM
I can report that, yes, one, a frogspawn, has grown a 'foot' and officially has started a skeleton that weights it to the sand. I'm dripping kalk and feeding krill to the corals.

jenny1979
01/14/2011, 06:05 AM
Mine does it regularly.... there's a new one just growing. Never had any problems with missing skeleton or things like that. Maybe I have just been lucky

flyyyguy
01/14/2011, 07:08 AM
years ago I had one bail(frog) and many months later found it back behind my rock, bleached with the begining of a new skeleton forming.

I should have left it lie where it was apparently doing what it was supposed to because moving it didnt work out so well

flyyyguy
01/14/2011, 07:09 AM

bebereef
06/10/2011, 08:26 AM
i've been told it could be caused when missing strontium, anyone heard that?
It happened to my frogspawn and i'm looking for a reason why and a cure....