PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get plastic floating in water when using reef crystals?

cirionrc
12/21/2010, 04:44 PM
Anyone get little pieces of plastic in their water when they use reef crystals? Is this harmful? I reef crystals worth using? Is there any GOOD salt that you can recommend. I used to use coralife but CA is really high so I switched. Seems my corals don't like the reefcrystals. My anemones shrivel when I use this salt and only this salt.

preef
12/21/2010, 05:03 PM
Saw this thread a couple of months ago.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1935831&highlight=plastic+reef+crystals

EDIT: I just saw that you posted to this thread in the chemistry forum.

Palting
12/21/2010, 08:08 PM
I like reefcrystals. My SPS love reefcrystals. But then again, the only other salt I've used is Neomarine, so not much to compare to. Anyway, in answer to your original question, after close to a dozen buckets of reefcrystal, I have not had any plastic floating. The worst tthing I've ever had happen was that I left it in the mixing tub for over 36 hours, mixing as well as aerating, and there was a film of what I presume to be calcium all over the pump, heater, and bucket sides. I dumped that batch.

cherubfish pair
12/21/2010, 08:12 PM
IMO, this is probably precipitate. Just minerals forming flakes. It happens to me no matter what salt I use.