PDA

View Full Version : Greetings - moving to area & fish for sale

Shooter7
12/21/2010, 06:48 PM
Hi, my name's David and I'll be moving to the CIMA area in late May - early June 2011. I'll be getting married at that time and moving into my GF's house in Tolono. I've been a member of SEASL for the past several years and have about 7 years total experience with saltwater tanks, everything from a 10g nano to my most recent tank of 120g. All have been mixed reefs. Fortunately for me, I'll fit in well in the area as I was born in Champaign, grew up in Villa Grove, and am a lifelong Illini fan. I'm 46 and have custody of my 8 y/o son, and once I'm married I'll have 2 stepdaughters as well.

Unfortunately, this move is causing a downsizing for me from my 120g to a standard 29g tank. I suppose it's a good thing as my tank has barely been limping along the last couple of years due to personal issues going on in my life and me not able to stay on top of things like you need to. My tank went from looking like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/DavidW/IMG_0188_1.jpg

Where I was getting a good start on adding SPS to my mix, to looking like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/DavidW/IMG_0783_1.jpg

...which is pretty depressing, I know.

I have moved some rock and several corals to my new 29g tank I have set up at my GF's house in Tolono. I already had a stand, and she has a neighbor who does woodwork and he built me a canopy to my specs for me to put on top. I've got a 150W halide in there, an external pump I've plumbed an over the top of the tank kind of closed loop system to, and a new Hydor Slim Skim Nano skimmer in the tank. I've moved my clownfish there, and still need to catch a chromis and my leopard wrasse to move there as well. Don't have any good pics of this setup yet, but I've got several different types of zoas, green stars, LPS, a few colors of ricordea, and some other corals in it. I'd like to eventually upgrade again - I'm liking the looks of the Marineland deep tanks, but not sure when an upgrade will happen. So, hoping to chat or meet some of you local hobbyists eventually. Might be good to know some people so if my GF starts having a panic situation and I can't get there, maybe I might know someone close enough by to go there and help her out or something. And with some of the amounts of zoas and such I'm bringing, I'm hoping it won't be long before I might be looking to frag.

Which brings me to the "fish for sale" part of this. I need to get my big tank here shut down soon and I have a purple tang that needs a home. He's a gorgeous fish and very healthy. I'm asking $80 for him (saw one smaller and more pale than mine for $189 at Sailfin). Here's a recent pic of him:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/DavidW/IMG_0787_1.jpg

Let me know if you're interested. Really want him to go to a 120g or larger tank.

Hope to talk to you guys over the upcoming months...

Trademark
12/21/2010, 06:52 PM
Welcome !!!!

llewoh05
12/21/2010, 08:04 PM
Welcome to the area!

that is a nice fish, unfortunately i only have a 40gal. there are several large tanks in the area that might be interested tho.

ahenson
12/21/2010, 11:14 PM
Welcome here! I love purple tangs, in fact I just bought one!

syrinx
12/21/2010, 11:39 PM
Welcome.

medic29
12/21/2010, 11:47 PM
Welcome to the area!!! I'm in Pesotum, which is just south of Tolono, if you guys need some help, or your tank has an issue and your down south, let me know and I'll give you a hand.

What are your plans for your 120??

Shooter7
12/22/2010, 07:51 AM
Thank you for the welcomes. :beer:

The 120g system is for sale. Actually, one of your folks up there was supposed to be buying it, but bailed on me a couple days ago. I'm going back and working on a couple people I turned away because I thought I had a deal done, and seeing if they are still interested at all. If not, then I'll be breaking it down and taking it to an LFS a few minutes from my house to sit there and see if someone will buy it. I want to get it moved out of my basement as I'm going to be putting my house on the market this spring and need to paint down in the area it's occupying at the moment. My future wife and I are planning on building a new house in early 2012 in Tolono and I'll evaluate at that time if I'm ready to upsize again. My LFS has one of those 150g marineland deep tanks sitting for sale that I think I'd like to have, but can't right now. Don't want to have to move a big tank in a little over a year.

Thanks for your offer of assistance if needed, medic, hopefully won't have to take you up on it. :)

fastrc
12/22/2010, 09:28 AM
Don't see a price on the tank and were is the tang at? troy or Tolono

Current tanks: 120 reef, 45 hex reef, 150 gallon(not setup) 20 gallon quarantine, 2-40 gallon frag tanks all glass,40 gallon sump, mrc2 skimmer, Digital Aquatics controls, Panworld 50px and 100px return pump system, BRS phosphate reactor.3-250 MH lighting with 4 blue actinics and full DA moonlight system.

Shooter7
12/22/2010, 10:01 AM
Hi, actually my tank sale listing is in the SEASL forum here on RC.

The package I'm doing is the 4x2x2 tank, oak stand, acrylic sump, lighting (which is parabolic reflector and 2x250 w MH/electronic ballasts + VHO actinics - hangs from ceiling, no fixture), all pumps (mag 12 return, 2 x tunze 6060), MSX 200 protein skimmer, GEO 6x12 Ca reactor, tunze osmolator topoff unit, and the live rock left over after the move that will have several corals on it.... all for $650. Skimmer works great, Ca reactor has some dirtiness in some of the tubes so can't tell how much gunk is in there, so some of that plastic tubing may need replaced. I haven't run the reactor in awhile, plugged it in and the pump kicked on no problem.

Oh, and the tang is in Troy. I have a potential buyer for him and should find out by tonight if he's going to take him or not... I hope.

Shooter7
12/23/2010, 06:12 AM
Updating that the tang has been sold... thanks

garrett_ta2000
12/25/2010, 03:07 PM
ahh fail. . .i really wanted a purple tang ;(

Shooter7
12/29/2010, 09:42 AM
A few pics of where I'm at now with my 29g in Tolono. Have some Christmas tree light reflection in the first one. Pretty much have the majority of salvageable corals moved to the 29g, looking at my rock in the big tank to see if there are any other pieces I want to move to this tank.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/DavidW/IMG_0835_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/DavidW/IMG_0836_1.jpg

My leopard wrasse hanging out in his new digs in a lengthwise view...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/DavidW/IMG_0839_1.jpg

fragboy94
12/29/2010, 01:50 PM
Looks very nice is that blue and orange coral, a ricordia ???

Shooter7
12/29/2010, 02:44 PM
There are several ricordea mushrooms on one small rock there. Going to give them some room to spread out on a larger rock. In that same pic, immediately above the orange ones but harder to see are some blue ricordea. I also have some green ones in this tank. Have some other orange ricordea on another rock in this tank on the other side. Some pink zoas not pictured either.

Trademark
12/29/2010, 08:59 PM
I like the softy tank.