PDA

View Full Version : "Kangen" Water Machine...?

thebanker
12/21/2010, 06:59 PM
So, my roommate sells these home water machines that produce something called "Kangen" water. As he describes, the machine uses an activated carbon filter and platinum & palladium plates to do a few interesting things to water.

1) makes it taste good (true)
2) cleans impurities (probably true, to a point)
3) changes the pH of the water up to 9.5 (actually true, I verified this using a high-range pH test kit.)
4) health benefits (who knows, very subjective IMO)
5) micro clustering of H2O molecules (who knows)

Anybody else heard of these things? Health benefits aside, does it do any good for a home reef? I use the high pH water to wipe my tank down, and clean the acrylic shield under my T5 bulbs, and thats it. It doesn't leave water spots.

noahm
12/21/2010, 07:04 PM
for the most part, it is just a giant waste of money. Some of the claims are mildly true, but mostly just a load of garbage. It hurts when ignorant people get scammed out of 2 or 3 thousand dollars. Have your friend read this. It is pretty accurate, chemically speaking. Brush up on some basic chem while you are at it so you can keep others away from this kind of wallet emptying. You could build something for about $100 that does the same thing, but why?

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/ionbunk.html

It is always suspicious when all of the claims are from the site selling the machine. If have a friend who is paying $200/mo and ignorantly happy though, so what can you do.

Also, don't use that stuff in your reef tank. In order to replace and H+ or OH- ion, there has to be other ions/salts in the water otherwise it will just return immediately to H20. The whole point of RODI is to get everything out, not add stuff in.

bertoni
12/21/2010, 07:27 PM
It does seem like a hoax to me, too. I wouldn't pay anything for it.

powderhound
12/21/2010, 09:03 PM
It does have health benefits but do not use it in a tank. Test the Tds of the water and you will see what I mean. it doesn't purify the water at all

oscar.millan
12/21/2010, 09:21 PM
Wow, I guess it's true what they say, "A sucker is born every second."

noahm
12/21/2010, 09:50 PM
One of the more ridiculous claims is about changing your body's pH. If you actually altered you body's pH by any measurable amount, you would start to have organ failure (urine is not an indicator of body pH, it is just waste water and can vary). I am a big fan of alternative health methods (I have been a falun gong practitioner for many years), but this kind of stuff is permeating the internet and taking advantage of people with often not much money to spare. I actually saw someone claiming that Downs Syndrome could be cured by diet. It's an extra chromosome, not an illness.

The funny thing is, my friend who bought a Kangen machine smokes (both kinds), drinks a lot, does various other drugs, and eats some of the nastiest gas station food...

The water is fine if you want to drink it. You stomach will acidify any amount you can put in you. The main thing is you can make the same machine for wayyyy less if you feel it is important to your health.

bertoni
12/21/2010, 10:40 PM
I agree that the claims seem to be basically garbage. The cartridges might have some carbon in them, which could improve the flavor. Making the water mildly alkalinity is safe if the chemicals used are food quality, although pointless.