PDA

View Full Version : What are the most important factors to obtain good results in a reef tank?

frank88
12/22/2010, 06:21 AM
What are the most important factors to obtain good results in a reef tank? ... in order ... According to your experience, what effect do you think for a better result: higher growth and more color.

64Ivy
12/22/2010, 06:53 AM
1. Patience.

tozzi
12/22/2010, 06:55 AM
1. Patience
2. The right and consistant water parameters

frank88
12/22/2010, 07:07 AM
1. Patience.

1. Patience
2. The right and consistant water parameters

Poll added ...
it took me a long time, but I think it's well done ...

psteeleb
12/22/2010, 07:25 AM
your poll is to specific

most important:
1) water quality (and stability) - keep up with water changes and you can keep almost anything
1) big 3; ALK CA and MG
1) light
1) flow

2) start with aqua grown preferably from a tank you know something about

3) carbon to assist with water quality, minimize chemical warefare, and helpp with external polutants

4) feeding (meaty foods)

5) other dosing

although I believe in stable parameters anyone who has been to a natural reef knows you get some significant cold temperature spikes as the currents and tides bring up nutrients from the deep

frank88
12/22/2010, 07:33 AM
your poll is to specific

most important:
1) water quality (and stability) - keep up with water changes and you can keep almost anything
1) big 3; ALK CA and MG
1) light
1) flow

2) start with aqua grown preferably from a tank you know something about

3) carbon to assist with water quality, minimize chemical warefare, and helpp with external polutants

4) feeding (meaty foods)

5) other dosing

although I believe in stable parameters anyone who has been to a natural reef knows you get some significant cold temperature spikes as the currents and tides bring up nutrients from the deep

for higher growth and more color specifically...:p

psteeleb
12/22/2010, 08:41 AM
for higher growth and more color specifically...:p

I think my answer would be the same; water changes will take care of most all additives other then the big 3 and pull out the build up of most of the undesired elements. You still need a good skimmer but I’m not convinced that bigger and more expensive will make huge strides over other types of natural filtration.

My results:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946136

gasman059
12/22/2010, 08:46 AM
1. Patience.

+1 I almost got a headache reading all the options:hammer:

spieszak
12/22/2010, 08:48 AM
Personally I think its the amount of time you spend enjoying your tank. You can fret and worry about params and should.. but if your watching it, really watching it, it will tell you something is off long before your test kits show it. And if your not watching it.. well.. why are you doing all the work?
just MHO

phenom5
12/22/2010, 09:36 AM
1. Water Quality

2. Lighting & Flow

IMO/ IME water quality is the most important. And to me that includes Ca/ Alk/ Mg stability in the proper range, and keeping NO3 & PO4 low. Lighting is important, and flow is important, but not more so than good water quality. Water changes fall under the water quality umbrella. Absolutely stable temps are not important, I get 3-5 degree daily swings with no ill effects.

frank88
12/22/2010, 09:56 AM
1. Water Quality
2. Lighting & Flow

IMO/ IME water quality is the most important. And to me that includes Ca/ Alk/ Mg stability in the proper range, and keeping NO3 & PO4 low. Lighting is important, and flow is important, but not more so than good water quality. Water changes fall under the water quality umbrella. Absolutely stable temps are not important, I get 3-5 degree daily swings with no ill effects.

I think the first thing ... you have to clarify the meaning of good growth performance and color ..

An example of excellent growth and color:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s313/dodarocs/DSC_0473.jpg

This is the purpose of the survey ... to understand what are the determining factors for these results ..

newtophish
12/22/2010, 10:24 AM
I got really tired reading your poll questions so I gave up, sorry.

Jamesurq
12/22/2010, 10:24 AM
simplicity

frank88
12/22/2010, 10:33 AM
I got really tired reading your poll questions so I gave up, sorry.

it is very long .. but once you understand it's easy to vote ..

chimmike
12/22/2010, 10:35 AM
Are you flipping kidding me? Not going to spend all my time reading through those options!

psteeleb
12/22/2010, 10:42 AM
I think the first thing ... you have to clarify the meaning of good growth performance and color ..

An example of excellent growth and color:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s313/dodarocs/DSC_0473.jpg

This is the purpose of the survey ... to understand what are the determining factors for these results ..

A beautiful tank, no questions asked about that, but it would be interesting to know how long he/she has had the sps colonies, how long has the tank been running and what they have done for the obvious success.

Not to be sceptical but I've seen some beautiful tanks only to hear later they crashed, many due to build ups or depletions of even something as simple as ALK. I'd also question if those colonies grew in that tank or if they were bought as colonies. For example a tabling acro will almost always grow horizontal or flat, some of these are not but coulld have been moved for the viewers pleasure.

FoothillCorals
12/22/2010, 10:45 AM
You need more options in your poll. J/K

Somebody here has a signiture the reads: "Stability Promotes Success"

That could not be more true. Good lights, flow, skimmer and a little bit of luck help to.

frank88
12/22/2010, 10:52 AM
A beautiful tank, no questions asked about that, but it would be interesting to know how long he/she has had the sps colonies, how long has the tank been running and what they have done for the obvious success.

Not to be sceptical but I've seen some beautiful tanks only to hear later they crashed, many due to build ups or depletions of even something as simple as ALK. I'd also question if those colonies grew in that tank or if they were bought as colonies. For example a tabling acro will almost always grow horizontal or flat, some of these are not but coulld have been moved for the viewers pleasure.
corals of the tank are taken of the image are small (tested with images)
the owner is one of the top 5 here in Italy as skill in the herd of these creatures ..
its basin has not decayed
Are you flipping kidding me? Not going to spend all my time reading through those options!

sorry ...
choices are always the same ..
be given only the order of importance ..
nothing more ..
sorry but still ..

jefathome
12/22/2010, 10:58 AM
just so I understand, is the first number the temp swing allowed per day?

tdp22
12/22/2010, 10:59 AM
I have to agree with Simplicity! I see way too many people trying to get the perfect combos with different this and that. I watch my water and tank daily, and while I don't have a "perfect system" it works for me! Even get some growth and color ;)

Minuteman
12/22/2010, 11:16 AM
I have found that the health of the tank is directly proportional to the number of tangs in it and inversely proportional to the tank size.

Wolverine
12/22/2010, 11:22 AM
1. Patience.

yep

2. Looking at the tank. I've seen so many people make such a big deal about their tank "stats" that they never actually look at the animals, and sometimes it definitely shows. Pay attention to the fish and corals. You'll see the positives and you'll catch problems more quickly.

Beaun
12/22/2010, 11:40 AM
1. Money

frank88
12/22/2010, 12:04 PM
1. Money

:blown:

Steve Wright2
12/22/2010, 04:07 PM
I found your survey to be very easy to use and only took 1 minute of my time to do so

Im not 100% sure others would agree with my priority rating from 1 - 7
but I just went with my instincts based on what I do with my set up

Steve

AquamanE
12/22/2010, 05:59 PM
1. Water Quality

2. Lighting & Flow

I agree with this.

andycook
12/22/2010, 08:34 PM
money. lots of money. and money.

Top Water
12/22/2010, 08:41 PM
Where on your list is patients?:hmm4:

Wolverine
12/22/2010, 10:46 PM
Where on your list is patients?:hmm4:

Lower than patience. :D

frank88
12/23/2010, 02:36 AM
I found your survey to be very easy to use and only took 1 minute of my time to do so

Steve

thank you very much :)

chingchai
12/23/2010, 09:32 AM
Every factors are important.
But if I have to choose only one choice, I vote for weekly water change.

frank88
12/23/2010, 01:11 PM
But if I have to choose only one choice, I vote for weekly water change.

... very interesting ..:thumbsup:

RVANANO
12/23/2010, 02:39 PM
I like beer

allsps40
12/23/2010, 09:23 PM
+1 I almost got a headache reading all the options:hammer:
No kidding. There is no what is MORE important... I feel that great water quality, stable alk ca mag and SG, strong flow, strong skimmer, feeding and water changes are all equally important. Not only that but you need to find that balance between them all to really make thing work and take off.

wickedfish
12/24/2010, 06:30 PM
^^^^^^ and to not freak out when things aren't looking too good.

Maivortex
12/25/2010, 07:26 PM
just so I understand, is the first number the temp swing allowed per day?

OH boy!

Ancelot
12/25/2010, 09:02 PM
Let me add one you all missed:

KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT OF THE TANK!

and of course, water stability, lightings, flow and weekly water changes (:

flyyyguy
12/26/2010, 12:16 AM
I like beer

and pie too

66deuce
12/30/2010, 09:26 PM
Money money and more money.

LifeAquatic
12/31/2010, 12:23 AM
Weekly sacrifices to the reef gods.

frank88
12/31/2010, 03:20 AM

:fun2: sure....:mad2:

JPMagyar
12/31/2010, 08:54 AM
I think another consideration is bacterial balance. Given that skimmers take out a third or less of the waste our tanks need to process 70% of the waste through the bacteria found on LR and in the sand beds. If the bacteria can't handle the load then the tank won't thrive. There's really so much involved.

I disagree with the money issue as I think reefing on a budget can and does happen all the time if one takes full advantage of the used equipment market and has patience which may be the most important factor after all as has already been suggest :)

Gary Majchrzak
12/31/2010, 09:04 AM
But if I have to choose only one choice, I vote for weekly water change.I agree.

Consider the phrase "means to an ends". There are many ways to accomplish something.

It looks like a lot of work went into creating this poll. Like a reef aquarium, better results might be obtained by keeping it simple.

OwenInAZ
12/31/2010, 11:39 AM
yep

2. Looking at the tank. I've seen so many people make such a big deal about their tank "stats" that they never actually look at the animals, and sometimes it definitely shows. Pay attention to the fish and corals. You'll see the positives and you'll catch problems more quickly.

This is key. So many people chase numbers and stress out if their tank deviates one degree from 78.3 degrees. Watch your livestock. If your corals are stressed you have a problem. If they're doing well, let it ride!

frank88
01/27/2011, 07:02 AM

this sure....:spin1: