PDA

View Full Version : kims 10 gal nano,cycled! now what. .

kimowen04
12/22/2010, 02:52 PM
ok so my tank is cycled woot!

here is my tank LOG. . .

*Saltwater Tank*

Day 1: Dec, 15,2010. add saltwater, mini pest starfish, mud and bacteria from uncle bills saltwater system. Heater, REG lights, filter, dead LR and LS.

Day 2: dec,16. PH:8.2 ammonia: .50 nitrites: .25 nitrates: 5.0-10

Day 4: dec,17 nitrates: 5.0-10 nitrites: .25-.50 ammonia: .50 PH: 8.0-8.2 (mini starts still alive)

Day 6: dec,19 nitrates: 5.0-1.0 PH: 8.2 ammonia:.25 nitrites:5.0( maybe 1.0) bright purple

Day 8: dec,21 nitrates: 5.0-10 PH: 8.2 ammonia: 0 Nitrites: 0 temp: 79-80 Salinity: middle indent on hydometer hits at 1.026( adding distilled water) tank looks the same.

Day 9: dec, 22 Diatoms on Rocks and sand.

So now im ready to do my water change and add some inverts,crabs,snails. i only have 10 bucks right now cuz xmas is this wkend. . soo ill buy 5 gal bucket of sw and do the change and ill only be able to get like 2 snails! can i do that and then after xmas go buy the rest of my clean up crew and a fish or will my tank be to over run? also should i add a tad of fish food to the tank since i wont be able to get a fish for maybe a week. or can i jsut hold it off for a week as is and the tank be ok??

DoubleM 10
12/22/2010, 03:01 PM
well if i were you i would doubt the tank cycled in 9 days. IMO but everytank is different.
if it really has cycled i would add just ur basic clean up crew(i.e. crabs and snails) depending on your taste in that. wait one week. checking levels

then add 1 fish!!! wait a week

add another fish!!!wait a week.

the key is to take it slow. the bacteria will have to adjust when you add living things to the tank. if you add them slow your tank will be able to catch up stabaly.

if you add them all to fast the bacteria will not be enough and will have a hard time catching up. meaning headaches for you with amonia and nitrate and nitrites.

matt

Sk8r
12/22/2010, 03:07 PM
don't add a fish until your cleanup crew has had a couple of weeks in there: for one thing, the poo-bacteria have to increase before it can certifiably handle a fish. The snails and hermits will poo their little hearts out for 2-4 weeks, and the bacteria will be multiplying and spreading: they're in there to eat algae. Which you should be seeing if that tank is really cycled.
You can get a fish, but it needs to be 4 weeks in quarantine, to be sure it's not bringing parasites in via its gills. The stress of moving will make it break out on his skin if it's present---and you can treat it in quarantine. So get your quarantine tank (bare glass tank with cheap filter and a nitrate/ammonia test strips kit. That can get going now.

For fish in a 10 nano, I would recommend such as the neon goby, the clown gobies, which come in several colors, including green and yellow; the clingfish (striped); but avoid the hector's and court jester gobies: they need a large mature tank to succeed, as they will not ordinarily ever eat fish food. Maybe a few softie corals for the clown gobies to perch on. Not every store will stock these fishes, but take a look for them online and see what you think: they're pretty, and they do fit the tank. And rig up an autotopoff system, with a dual float switch: nanos are extremely challenging, because the evaporation of water increases salinity, and a very little fresh water topoff will do. Ask your uncle Bill for some assist on that: it's dirt-simple, and will help you keep that little tank the way you want.

bsagecko
12/22/2010, 03:57 PM
For a 10g I would recommend clown gobies, watchman goby with pistol shrimp, yashia goby with pistol shrimp....umm you might be able to get away with a small clown pair or firefish but you need a lid as the fish will jump....

I agree with sk8ter though...get the clean up crew then wait 4 weeks...I have always been a fan of 8 week QT as that is the full life cycle of many parasites....The thing you have going for you though is that all of the above fish usually dont have any type of illness....

I would also recommend sexy shrimp...

For your CUC...I would still with some small snails (not turbo or mexican turbo)...and mexican black leg hermit crabs as they stay pretty small...

You really only need like two snails maybe 3 and 1~2 hermits....that with some daily glass scraping will keep your tank in good viewing...

The ATO (automatic topoff) is really a must for stability...you can build one or buy one and just use a 5 gallon resevoir (those instant ocean salt buckets work well for this)....if you are going to buy one I would recommend the Tunze osmalator if that is out of your price range try the JBJ one or build your own with a small pump some tubing and extension cord and two float valve switches you can learn to make one on melevsreef.com

Good Luck and just keep asking questions...and dont make impulse fish buys....