PDA

View Full Version : Anemone Running Wild

samdaman
12/22/2010, 11:46 PM
I got a RBTA, its moving around, it stung my candy canes they have receded all the way, what do i do let her run around?

WaffleWalffle22
12/22/2010, 11:50 PM
Could you provide a picture? It may be unhappy in the area it's in.

2Addicted
12/22/2010, 11:51 PM
How long have you had it? They only move when their conditions are not ideal. How long has your tank been runninng?

samdaman
12/22/2010, 11:52 PM
Could you provide a picture? It may be unhappy in the area it's in.

I cannot im not at home. my brother told me. problems started when I left :/

Top Water
12/22/2010, 11:59 PM
Heres the deal . A RBTA will run around after a split or when put in a new tank.
It will eventualy find a happy place and stay putt but until then you have to watch so it does not go in you over flows or in a power head. You can try to place it and a rock it attached to where you want,but it will walk until its were it wants to stay.

WaffleWalffle22
12/23/2010, 12:02 AM
If it's sick that could explain the running around.

2Addicted
12/23/2010, 12:03 AM
Heres the deal . A RBTA will run around after a split or when put in a new tank.
It will eventualy find a happy place and stay putt but until then you have watch so it does not go in you over flows or in a power head. You can try to place it and a rock it attached to where you want,but it will walk until its were it wants to stay.

Sorry but I have to disagree. My nems have been in the same spot since I put them in the tank.

Top Water
12/23/2010, 12:05 AM
Your lucky I grow and frag them and some will and some wont.
Larger ones tend to stay putt better for me though.
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae155/Top-Water/Corals/1-3-10032.jpgSorry but I have to disagree. My nems have been in the same spot since I put them in the tank.

samdaman
12/23/2010, 12:15 AM
Its not sick its healthy got it sunday, Put it in stayed there for 2 days, started moving today. what do i do let it find its spot and move my corals?

this is the first puic after i put it in
http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz119/monsieursam/IMG_6617.jpg

Fatreefer
12/23/2010, 12:28 AM
Pretty much. The nem is a animal. It want to make it's home in the very best spot it can find. Much like putting a fish in your tank. Until you do it you have no idea where it will hang out.

Let it hang get settled in and then move your corals.

velvetelvis
12/23/2010, 08:54 AM
Pretty much. The nem is a animal. It want to make it's home in the very best spot it can find. Much like putting a fish in your tank. Until you do it you have no idea where it will hang out.

+1 Make sure all your powerheads and filter intakes are securely covered, and just keep an eye on it. It is a beautiful anemone...good luck!

Top Water
12/23/2010, 10:52 AM
Plus 1Pretty much. The nem is a animal. It want to make it's home in the very best spot it can find. Much like putting a fish in your tank. Until you do it you have no idea where it will hang out.

garygb
12/23/2010, 12:02 PM
BTAs prefer a hole/cave/overhang in the liverock to attach. If you don't have a piece of liverock with a hole a few inches deep and a couple of inches in diameter, you can get a large piece of liverock and chisel out a place. Liverock is porous and pretty easy to chip away at. Once you have an appropriate piece of liverock, place the anemone gently in the cave and let it attach.

samdaman
12/23/2010, 01:53 PM
+1 Make sure all your powerheads and filter intakes are securely covered, and just keep an eye on it. It is a beautiful anemone...good luck!

Will do then, they are covered

BTAs prefer a hole/cave/overhang in the liverock to attach. If you don't have a piece of liverock with a hole a few inches deep and a couple of inches in diameter, you can get a large piece of liverock and chisel out a place. Liverock is porous and pretty easy to chip away at. Once you have an appropriate piece of liverock, place the anemone gently in the cave and let it attach.

My brother did this but put a few pieces OF LR and they put in the anemone and I guess it attached..

here is a video where it stayed.

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz119/monsieursam/th_DSCN2880.jpg (http://s819.photobucket.com/albums/zz119/monsieursam/?action=view&current=DSCN2880.mp4)

garygb
12/23/2010, 08:35 PM
Honestly, I have my doubts that your RBTA will stay there. I hope it does, but that doesn't look like the type of spot that says "RBTA home here." Often they will wander around after the lights go out. Again, I suggest the same thing I did in an earlier post.

velvetelvis
12/23/2010, 09:44 PM

Going by my experience with my BTA, I agree. Try to arrange the LR so that the anemone has a crevice it can root its foot into, and a cave or overhang that it can retreat into. They seem to prefer feeling surrounded on all sides to being out in the open.

Top Water
12/25/2010, 12:31 PM
Yes this is very true!!!Going by my experience with my BTA, I agree. Try to arrange the LR so that the anemone has a crevice it can root its foot into, and a cave or overhang that it can retreat into. They seem to prefer feeling surrounded on all sides to being out in the open.

samdaman
12/25/2010, 01:25 PM
It moved a little to the left, and has not moved in 2 days