PDA

View Full Version : New 200 gal tank

IShark
12/23/2010, 03:27 AM
I got a 200 gal tank and I just want some help on what to stock it with. I was thinking of getting a shark, no sure what kind yet, I have to do more research. Any suggestions on what shark to get? I also wanted a green moray eel, some sort of sting ray(suggestions on what kind) and either a Radiata or volitan lionfish. So my stock would be 1 shark,1 eel, 1 ray, and 1 lionfish. Is this to much for a 200 gal? And I was thinking of doing a little bit of LR, Like one island on each side of the tank. I would appreciate all the helpful addvice. I will def be doing more research before I get buy any fish for the tank!

bsagecko
12/23/2010, 06:43 AM
The smallest tank for a tropical shark should be an 8ft by 3ft by 2ft...which is about 360 gallons for a single coral catshark....if you dont have a tank this size dont even bother....

For the stingray you could go with a cortez if you went with a larger setup like mentioned above....

To be on the safe side I would go to 8ft by 4ft by 2ft if you want to keep the eel, lion, stingray, shark...I would really hesistant with the lionfish and the elsamobranchs but I have seen it done so just be careful with everything...

The thing with liverock and sharks is you will need hundreds upon hundreds of pounds just not in your DT...they will need to be in the sump...also you will need a protein skimmer rated for like 600gals ish...

Take a look at the other thread right now about banded sharks I have put alot more info in there if you want to take a read...if this is your first shark please do not get a bamboo please get a CORAL CATSHARK...Atelomycterus marmoratus that is the scientific name
You should be able to get a captive bred one from Tropicorium...

Also just go ahead and upgrade the 200gal to the 8x4x2...that way you never have to worry about it again and you will only have to buy equipment once...

Also checkout Mazuri vit for sharks

Hope this helps if you have more questions just post them

olemiss reb
12/23/2010, 08:35 AM
I don't know much about keeping sharks but a green moray, Gymnothorax funebris, needs a much bigger tank. It would also kill the lion. The eel would also need a tank full of LR which would not work with a ray. They should really only be attempted by public aquariums or private ocean tanks like emtmogul is building.

bsagecko
12/23/2010, 08:51 AM
Oh wow I totally missed that the eel was a green moray...yeah definate no go...could probably eat the shark or stingray as well....they are vicious killers....

IShark
12/23/2010, 05:47 PM
Great advice! Thank you. I will wait till I can get more room for a bigger tank and continue to do more research!

bsagecko
12/23/2010, 06:10 PM
Yep...research is the key...if you have any other questions just ask

palmer373
12/23/2010, 08:10 PM
why do people even keep sharks? yah they are cool but really only public aquariums can provide enough space for them. save a lot of grand and go with like a angel FOWLR or maybe puffers or triggers, they are all really cool and way easier to keep than a shark. JMO

bsagecko
12/23/2010, 08:24 PM
palmer I would agree with you except for the truly dedicated hobbyist...kinda like the difference between ppl who keep ball pythons and ppl who keep ancadonas in the reptile hobby...