PDA

View Full Version : unhappy BTAs

jon1985
12/23/2010, 07:43 AM
I recently moved my tank from my apartment to my new house. Everything is doing well , except the BTAs.

To give you an idea of the tank it is a custom 100 gallon tank, 40" long, 24"deep. I am using a tek 36" 6 bulb HOT5 fixture. The skimmer is an Vertex-IN250 so it has lots of capacity. I do a 10gallon water change weekly with water that has been mixed for atleast 2 days.

Currently all I test is salinity, nitrates, and phosphate. I have an ammonia test but havent used it since my cycle.

Salinity: 1.025
Nitrate: >5
Phosphate: 0

The BTAs where happy in my tank before the move. The grew fast and split faily often. For some reason they just dont expand like they used to and look very lousy when they deflate.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks

O'Man
12/23/2010, 09:13 AM
If your move was within the last month or so they may still be stressed from moving. My BTAs seem to take a while to go back to normal after an event. Also make sure your alk & calcium are are where they ought to be. Might want to take a week or 2 off the water changes also, I have seen BTA get stressed for a couple of days after a water change. Is the tank grounded? Someone here can probably tell you how to test for stray voltage if it isn't, or you could just get a grounding probe and see if it helps. Well there's a couple of thoughts anyway. Good luck.

velvetelvis
12/23/2010, 09:39 AM
If you recently moved and set your tank back up, your system is probably going through a cycle, or at least a mini-cycle. That might be stressing your anemones.

jon1985
12/23/2010, 09:50 AM
the tank has been setup for about 3 weeks now. From the testing I have done there doesnt seem to be a cylce happening. I will test for nitrite and ammonia tonight.

Would I feel stray voltage? wouldnt that affect the other corals and fish?

O'Man
12/23/2010, 01:41 PM
Sounds like they are getting over the stress & any "mini-cycle" from the move. I would check alk though. Voltage, I can't really say. I grounded one tank years ago on the advice of my LFS, can't say if it did anything or not. I never bothered grounding the other tank.

MarineFlake
12/23/2010, 01:56 PM
Unless you somehow picked up the tank full of water, stock, rock, etc then we presume you tore it down and re-setup. That being the case, I would offer that the different aqua-scape is contributing to re-acclimation to the tank. Perhaps they are not as high or significantly higher than they were before. If they are healthy and the water params are good, only time will tell. There is no fix for unhappy 'nems, check the boards if you don't believe me.:thumbsup: I hate to say it, but coming from one (Thats me) who has moved 3 or 4 very successful tanks containing nems, sometimes, you just can't replicate the magic of the original setup. If I could explain why, I would be on book tour ; )