PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Kalk concentration to start?

stingleyman
12/23/2010, 09:01 PM
Hi everyone, I have always used a two part additive but due to my recent upgrade in size of tank, and now having an ATO, I would like to start using kalk w/my Ato sytem. My current parameter are:

cal-380
alk-8
mag-1260
ph-bout 8

My other levels are in check as well.. Im not sure of what concentration would be good to start. I have a 5 gal ato setup. I only have a couple lps,and sps for that matter, along with some softies. I was thinking starting with 1 tsp. for the entire 5 gal. I am aware of the need to let it precipitate for a few hours before use. Any suggestions would most welcome.. Thanks.

allsps40
12/23/2010, 09:10 PM
I use 4 tsp per 5 gallon and that has been keeping my alk at 8 and ca 420-460. I test weekly and tweak as needed. Check out this video on kalk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POsLy2Mp0m8

bertoni
12/23/2010, 09:17 PM
Something like a tsp per gallon probably is okay, although I'd watch the pH during the first drip.

stingleyman
12/23/2010, 09:29 PM
He does have some good instructional videos. Thanks. Bertoni, thanks again for your suggestions, always very helpful. I dont have a ph monitor, but i do test regularly. I assume the .02 raise rule is accurate? So, as i dont have a monitor/controller or probe as of this point in time would u still suggest the same tsp/gal to start. Sorry, I just want to be sure. Thanks again.

bertoni
12/25/2010, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't want to raise the pH higher than 8.5, or 0.2-0.3 units in one shot. I dosed kalk for a long time without a controller, but I did measure the pH for the first few drips. You can start lower if you're worried. There's no hurry.