PDA

View Full Version : First frag, how to remove the thing it came on

jessicaparker
12/23/2010, 10:11 PM
This is my first ever coral and it came on this frag plug i think its called? i am wondering if its safe to remove and how to do it? Thanks!

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5630/frogspawn.jpg (http://img713.imageshack.us/i/frogspawn.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

James404
12/23/2010, 10:29 PM
I would leave it on. Glue it to one of your rocks and it will encrust over the plug and you won't even know it's there.

Ohiomom
12/23/2010, 10:30 PM
Your best/easiest bet is to just leave it like it is..it will grow over the frag plug in no time..hth

Fishguy15
12/23/2010, 10:32 PM
yeah, I would leave it on, the plug is only going to turn the same color as the rocks anyway from algae.

Top Water
12/23/2010, 10:35 PM
I disagree if you take it off with a razor blade and stick it in a hole in a rock it will be a much nicer looking peice . Looks like a torch coral and it will take forever if it even will cover the plug. Some dislike the look of plugs in there display tank. I use plugs because I have to but would rather just have natural rocks. Only issue is if there is no stem left to stick in hole it looks cut pretty short.

mike_cmu04
12/25/2010, 11:42 AM
A razor blade will work but you may also be able to wiggle it off.

Rickyrooz1
12/26/2010, 05:46 PM
I would leave it on. Glue it to one of your rocks and it will encrust over the plug and you won't even know it's there.

Torch corals don't encrust, you'll always have to see the frag plug until the corals grows more heads and eventually overshadows the plug.

SushiGirl
12/26/2010, 06:29 PM
Looks like there's plenty of glue on the bottom attaching it. Cutting through that with a razor and wedging it in a rock like Top Water said should work. I hate frag plugs too.

hydrahawk
12/27/2010, 01:42 PM
I too dislike frag plugs. I usually take a non-serrated knife and wedged it between the plug and the glue. With a little force, the frag with the glue will pop off. I then look for a rubble rock and glue the frag onto. Sometimes I have to use a Dremel to make a flat surface for mounting.

kingpin9995
12/30/2010, 09:53 PM
This may sound dumb but do you do this out of the water. How long can you keep a coral out of water to glue it , and whats a good product to use for gluing ...

slakker187
12/31/2010, 12:44 AM
yes, you can have that corals out of the water for a while and not have to worry about it. think of tides coming in and out, corals get exposed all of the time. you can use any kind of "gel" super glue. make sure that the coral part you are glueing and the rock/plug you are glueing to are dry. then put it directly back in the water to harden the glue and hold the frag.

kingpin9995
12/31/2010, 09:22 AM
what about adhering it to the rock in the tank. What's that process since the spot you are putting it is in the tank and wet. Do you use the epoxy stuff or what?

Russter
12/31/2010, 11:14 AM
what about adhering it to the rock in the tank. What's that process since the spot you are putting it is in the tank and wet. Do you use the epoxy stuff or what?

Yes you can use epoxy, although some epoxy brands work better than others. You are not really glueing the frag with epoxy though...more like using the epoxy to surround the frag (or plug) so that it stays put.

aemorr
01/12/2011, 09:02 PM
you can use a rubber band to hold it until it grows to a rock also