PDA

View Full Version : overflow problems

sassyfrassy
12/24/2010, 04:53 PM
when my water level gets low in my sump the pump will suck air and put it into the DT - consequently my overflow tube will get an air bubble in it. I'm going out of town for 5 days and worry about losing siphon. Would it be alright to drill a small hole in the top of the overflow tube w/airline hose attached to allow the air to escape? Would it work, is it advisable?

EllieSuz
12/24/2010, 06:10 PM
You should be adding fresh water to your sump daily to compensate for evaporation. There is no reason the water level in your sump should get so low that your return pump is exposed to air. Can you make arrangements for somebody to put water in your sump daily while you are gone? You should mark a level where you want the water line. I used a piece of tape on the outside of the sump to mark that level. Makes it easy for a novice to know how much to add. One more thing you might consider while you're away is to put a pinch of pellet or flakes in each of several sandwich bags for them to feed once a day while you're gone. Non reefers tend to overfeed if it's left up to them.

syrinx
12/24/2010, 11:36 PM
The siphon is just that- any hole you drill will break the siphon unless hooked up to a aqua lifter pump- bad idea. You need to keep sump full. Your pump should be powerful enough to clear bubbles from the siphon tube- esp if tube is clean. If it is not that is another weak spot in your system.

sassyfrassy
12/30/2010, 04:13 PM
I have the return pump sitting on top of a shelf, so even 24 hr. evaporation brings water level too low. I did that so too much water wouldn't pump into my DT incase of overflow siphon break. Guess I need to lower it some - also I do need a stronger pump - I have a 1250 w/ about 4-5' head loss into a 65g, and I want a Eheim 1262. Thanks for suggestions.

southernfish
12/30/2010, 06:25 PM
If u keep the u tube under water it should not break siphon. Most overflows require lots of attention. I check mine occaisionally for air bubbles and ive been running mine for three years without a problem and my return sits on the bottom of my sump. Even during a power outage or manually broke siphon by me my display or sump will not overflow. The trick is to have enough space in your sump for water to fill it without it overflowing if your return fails and to have you're overflow box determining a low enough water line in the DT so there is enough room for water to fill the DT if the siphon fails and the return pumps the sump dry so as to neither one over flow if one is working without the other. My water level in my 100gal is a out 1 1/2inches below the rim and about 2in from the rim in my sump. I can shut it all down and the water will barely touch my centerbrace in the DT. On the opposite if my return is only off and the overflow fills my sump it will come to about and inch or less from the top and never break siphon from the top.