PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me About Possum Wrasses

Fretfreak13
12/24/2010, 05:34 PM
I've been eyeing them in the DD, they've been up for a few days. Anyone have any experience with them? LA claims they're reef-safe, but I've never heard of these wrasses before. Think one would be suitable in an established 29g with a couple clowns, a jawfish, and a mandarin? Or are they pod eaters like the six-line. No competition wanted. lol

snorvich
12/24/2010, 05:53 PM
Well your pair of clowns, once mature will harass any fish added to that tank, so no, I do not recommend adding a possum wrasse.

32mm32
12/24/2010, 05:53 PM
I have been looking at these too. Have not purchased one yet cause i cant find any info on them and i have a small tank...

albano
12/24/2010, 06:21 PM
in a reef tank you will RARELY see it...they hide in rockwork 99% of the time...I've had him for 5 years, no problem, but only catch a glimpse of him every few days!

Fretfreak13
12/24/2010, 06:26 PM
Well your pair of clowns, once mature will harass any fish added to that tank, so no, I do not recommend adding a possum wrasse.

Lots of people keep clowns with other fish. I haven't heard of that to be a reason not to add another fish. I don't mean to be argumentative, but do you have a story to share?

in a reef tank you will RARELY see it...they hide in rockwork 99% of the time...I've had him for 5 years, no problem, but only catch a glimpse of him every few days!

You've never seen it go after anything, like ornamental shrimp, clams, or corals have you? What size tank is yours in? What other tank mates?

Bret61081
12/24/2010, 08:53 PM
Ive had one in my 95g reef for over 3 years. Didnt see it much at first now its out all the time. Great little fish. I have a very aggressive pair of GM clowns but they pay no attention to it so dont let having clowns turn you away from them. Great little fish with lots of personality!

albano
12/24/2010, 09:23 PM
You've never seen it go after anything, like ornamental shrimp, clams, or corals have you? What size tank is yours in? What other tank mates? No problem, with anything...
450g tank filled with 10 clams, many shrimp (coral banded, peppermint, blood) SPS LPS, softies, leathers, zoas, and over 60 fish...
<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JuvhYs8vH90?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

BFG
12/24/2010, 10:24 PM
Bought a trio, a pair was sold in the same bag and 1 I caught in the lfs tank. Acclimatised and released them in my 120g. The odd 1 was harassed for a few week by the pair and it disappear. The pair though swims together side by side on occasion and no aggression was seen between them. Fed them exclusively with mysis.

Stumped
12/25/2010, 12:58 AM
Lots of people keep clowns with other fish. I haven't heard of that to be a reason not to add another fish. I don't mean to be argumentative, but do you have a story to share?

You've never seen it go after anything, like ornamental shrimp, clams, or corals have you? What size tank is yours in? What other tank mates?

I had one for a while before it got stuck to a Vortech and ended up dying. I found it to be a very, very, very, very passive fish and rather reclusive. Easily the most passive fish I've seen. I think that is what snorvich was alluding to in his comment. A mature pair of clowns in a small tank can show a lot of aggression and possum wrasses are very timid/passive. Not a great mix.

Mine ate pods like crazy and was constantly hunting for them in the rock work. He was housed with a Helfrich's firefish, a Midas blenny and a small goby so competition wasn't an issue. If you want to try it, just keep an eye out for any sort of harassment from your other fish.

snorvich
12/25/2010, 08:40 AM

You asked for advice. You have a small tank. A pair of clownfish, once mature, will claim about a 25 gallon tank space and will be very aggressive towards other fish. The fish you are asking about is very cryptic, very passive, and will not do well with clowns, especially in a small tank. Many people also regret having that pair of clowns in a tank of a size that precludes other fish. But, hey, go for it.

RealReef7
12/25/2010, 12:21 PM
From experience I can say they are cool fish... but they do hide ALOT. You might want to have a steady population of pods as it might get startled at first from the clowns as they are pretty aggressive feeders.

Fretfreak13
12/25/2010, 01:14 PM
I meant I didn't want it to be competition for the mandarin, but if they do go after pods as a staple, I guess I'll have to pass on this fish. I've been searching for a very long time for a mandarin that is already trained onto frozen food, and I will not purchase one until I have seen it eat prepaired food with my own eyes. I will definely consider the possum wrasse when I upgrade, eventually.

Thanks for the advise, everyone.

Korrine
12/26/2010, 11:55 AM
You asked for advice. You have a small tank. A pair of clownfish, once mature, will claim about a 25 gallon tank space and will be very aggressive towards other fish. The fish you are asking about is very cryptic, very passive, and will not do well with clowns, especially in a small tank. Many people also regret having that pair of clowns in a tank of a size that precludes other fish. But, hey, go for it.

I totally agree with him! I'm not even adding a clown, let alone a pair, to my soon to be 75g tank. Plus, I don't wish to be bit every time I stick my hand in the tank!!! Do a search about clown fish and aggression. These clowns are best in a tank they can truly call their own.

snorvich
12/26/2010, 12:16 PM
Yes, Korrine, and if you are a diver, you will have had them try to take out your eyes through your mask. Still, a species tank with clownfish and a fancy carpet anemone is a gorgeous tank. Adding other fish to that becomes potentially problematical.

Korrine
12/26/2010, 12:33 PM
Yes, Korrine, and if you are a diver, you will have had them try to take out your eyes through your mask.

A photo of that would be awesome :lmao:

I have gone diving before, just not in the ocean.

small alien
12/26/2010, 08:39 PM

Steve doesn't like to talk about it but his Uncle Louis used to live next door to a pair of spawning pink skunks and it didn't end well.

palmer373
12/27/2010, 02:57 AM
no personal experience but a freind rocmmends possom wrasses for reef tanks, specifically SPS dominated, because he says they will help with controlling the population of either red bugs, flat worms, or bristle worms, might be forgetting one tho. either way he recommends them in reef tanks. all of his fish in his 180g SPS (cept for maybe 2 show fishes) are for helping his corals thive by eating parasites and his tank shows so im trusting him. havent done muchb research tho.

thought i might add that to help ^^

small alien
12/27/2010, 12:21 PM
Mine was so cryptic I hardly ever saw it except at feeding time, even in a 20 gallon. Ver peaceful tank. It was not bullied. I believe they are cave dwellers in nature.

Even though I'm often tempted by the various Wetmorella spp. offered on DD, I remind myself that a fish I never see isn't that great, no matter how cool.

snorvich
12/27/2010, 03:09 PM
Mine was so cryptic I hardly ever saw it except at feeding time, even in a 20 gallon. Ver peaceful tank. It was not bullied. I believe they are cave dwellers in nature.

Even though I'm often tempted by the various Wetmorella spp. offered on DD, I remind myself that a fish I never see isn't that great, no matter how cool.

Well, I would not say "never". With no aggressive tankmates, I see mine 4-5 times per week, but that particular fish tank is in the kitchen so there is a lot of viewing time. But they are definitely cryptic.

blennielove
12/27/2010, 06:49 PM
I've had a possum wrasse in a "peaceful" 55 gallon with a Christmas wrasse, pair of Auraro gobies, a orange spotted blennie, and a tiger wardi goby. He was the FIRST one in the tank so it was good that he is ALWAYS out and about, but when I tried to move my Lubbocks wrasse in there, the Lubbock turned on him and terrorized him until he was hiding most of the time. I moved the Lubbock's back out.
I would say that they are shy but if placed in an appropriate setting and being one of the first fishes in to acclimate and establish himself, he is a wonderful fish.

acoff87
12/27/2010, 10:09 PM
ive had mine about a year now in a 26bowfront, with a royal granma and a yellow watchmen. my tanks loaded with liverock so it hides often, but it seems to actually greet me everytime i go over to the tank. maybe mines just bold. one of my favorite fish. i plan on adding a red one to my 75gl when i start stocking it again, as the first fish.

acoff87
12/27/2010, 10:19 PM
snorvich - your advice would be greatly appreciated
well i guess this is a good place to ask. i plan on adding a Centropyge acanthops to my 75 as the last fish. but would love a Bodianus bimaculatus as well. do you think these fish would bully a wetmorella. if so, do you think a mystery wrasse would be a better fit. oh its an open top, bad idea?

Stumped
12/27/2010, 11:35 PM
snorvich - your advice would be greatly appreciated
well i guess this is a good place to ask. i plan on adding a Centropyge acanthops to my 75 as the last fish. but would love a Bodianus bimaculatus as well. do you think these fish would bully a wetmorella. if so, do you think a mystery wrasse would be a better fit. oh its an open top, bad idea?

The B. bimaculatus could possibly harass it if it's particularly boisterous, but it's hard to say because you could end up with a more passive one that wouldn't pay much attention to it. I'd say it wouldn't be worth chancing in a smaller tank, but it might not be an issue at all in a 75g. Definitely do not get a mystery wrasse. Do a quick search on RC, honestly most people report them to be complete monsters and aggressive.

Edit - I noticed it would be in an open top tank, so I wouldn't bother with the hogfish either. It would be at a definite risk of jumping.

snorvich
12/28/2010, 06:25 AM
I agree with Stumped.

acoff87
12/28/2010, 09:13 AM
thanks guys

Beaun
12/28/2010, 09:45 AM
I have a yellow banded with a pair of clowns, C. argi, pair of chalk bass, and a yellow and purple wrasse. The first day in the tank it was harassed a little by the centropyge but after the first day it never looked twice at it. Like others have said if you buy fish to see them all the time dont get one. I enjoy the fact that it is reclusive and swims about the rock work all day. I would say they are the perfect reef fish, never bother anything and most things wont bother it, probably because of its demeanor and odd shape.

small alien
12/28/2010, 09:50 AM
Lost my mighty possum to a jump through a small slit in the top.

Maives
12/28/2010, 10:13 AM
My experience with a yellow banded possum wrasse is quite different than other posters. I have had mine for many years and is one of my favorite fish. Although reclusive during mid-day sun, he comes out and specifically interacts with me when the light levels are lowered. He seems to hang out with a single ocellaris clown with absolutely no aggression between the two. I have had others bully it, but it seemed to always defend itself and the aggression would stop. With that said, do not mix it with an aggressive species. He does not eat flatworms, but aggressively seeks out pods. The possum wrasse swimming behavior is one of the more interesting characteristics, more like a hummingbird or underwater ROV. He generally keeps the caudal fin collapsed so it it arrow shaped and rarely uses it for propulsion. Don't expect a dazzling color from a yellow banded, but personality galore.

Fish that initially bullied it were red hawkfish (little), royal gramma (more than a little), midas blenny (only when the possum challenged the midas, but that is the typical behavior of a midas), and a pygmy hawkfish (very little interaction). My Potter's angel does not bother it at all.

acoff87
12/28/2010, 12:51 PM
my experiance is similair my royal gramma messes with the wrasse a little, but the wrasse gives it right back with a little dance. no major issues it happens rarely

acoff87
12/28/2010, 12:52 PM
oh and in response to my previous posts. im goin to be covering all my tanks with DIY 1/4'' mesh lids

Maives
12/28/2010, 01:20 PM
my experiance is similair my royal gramma messes with the wrasse a little, but the wrasse gives it right back with a little dance. no major issues it happens rarely

The little "dance" is interesting isn't it? They really do not like to be picked on and will respond with either a threat (dance) or a quick rush and poke to the body of the aggressor. If other fish do not show aggression, then the possum will not as well and actually appears to like to hang out with the others. Sometimes the behavior of the possum is at a higher level ("intelligence"?) then most fish. That's my experience anyway.

BTW, I have had my possum with an open top for 3 years + without an incident. Now that I am quarantining a red fin fairy wrasse, a 1/4" clear mesh top was made. The red fin is a jumper for sure.

acoff87
12/28/2010, 02:19 PM
you nailed it. lol.
i have a yellow banded in my 26, and am planing on gettin a tanakai in my 75. every peacful tank should have one if compatible

snorvich
12/28/2010, 02:32 PM
oh and in response to my previous posts. im goin to be covering all my tanks with DIY 1/4'' mesh lids

That is terrific. ANY fish can jump, many will. 1/4 inch keeps them in. :wave:

Frostyeel
12/30/2010, 12:55 AM
I love my possum. He is a Tanaki that I have had for a little over 4 years now. Mine was very shy the first few months that I had him but he became much more active and bold once he ran out of pods and started eating pellets and mysis. He is currently living in a biocube 29 with an ocellaris clown and a yellow watchman goby and they all get along fine. Mine is still a little shy but I see him swimming around almost every time I look in the tank. In the evening he will swim up to the glass waiting to be fed.

rhdoug
12/30/2010, 03:50 PM
I had one for a while and he was fine until I added a firefish. He would attack that fish relentlessly so I had to remove him. When he went into attack mode his entire snout would become white until he was done attacking. He was very bold and never hid after the first couple of weeks. My fish are all small and he had come from a friend's tank which had large fish so he was probably done with being the smallest fish and was establishing his authori-tay...

lilalove
12/30/2010, 07:12 PM
Albano...sweet tank!

darkside212
12/31/2010, 06:49 AM
I have a yellow banded possum. It comes out more during certain times of the day. It ate frozen, and spectrum pellets right away.

I'd say it is a little more boisterous than the others at my LFS (they have one in a 29 bio on display), but not aggressive at all.

other tank mates are:
2x leopard wrasses
twin spot wrasse
scopas tang
rabbit fish

tank is a SPS reef 48x24x12H

Elysia
01/02/2011, 05:08 PM
Steve doesn't like to talk about it but his Uncle Louis used to live next door to a pair of spawning pink skunks and it didn't end well.

I know the above comment wasn't constructive, but it made me laugh.

zachfishman
01/14/2011, 08:04 AM
I love my possum. He is a Tanaki that I have had for a little over 4 years now. Mine was very shy the first few months that I had him but he became much more active and bold once he ran out of pods and started eating pellets and mysis. He is currently living in a biocube 29 with an ocellaris clown and a yellow watchman goby and they all get along fine. Mine is still a little shy but I see him swimming around almost every time I look in the tank. In the evening he will swim up to the glass waiting to be fed.

Is your possum still kicking in your 29? Do you find that there's enough room for him in there? I'm thinking of getting one for my 29 (standard, not biocube). Obviously any fish would benefit from more room, but these guys seem to be less active wrasses and from my research the best bet (behind a sixline) for a 29 reef.

mscarpena
01/15/2011, 11:26 AM
I think you'd be fine with a possum in a 29 gallon.

I would not add a Mandarin to a 29 gallon weather you add a possum or not. even though they are eating prepared foods they still need a lot of pods through out the day when there is not frozen foods left in the tank. Mandarins eat constantly and have a high metabolism.

zachfishman
01/15/2011, 11:35 AM
I would not add a Mandarin to a 29 gallon weather you add a possum or not. even though they are eating prepared foods they still need a lot of pods through out the day when there is not frozen foods left in the tank. Mandarins eat constantly and have a high metabolism.

That's a definite, no mandarins unless I hooked up a 100g fuge to my 29 DT haha.

earthguy00
12/13/2012, 11:52 AM
I know this is a very old posting, but was curious
if these guys are like Mandarin Gobies where they
exclusively eat ONLY Copepods, anthropods etc?

I read somewhere they eat flakes or premium pellets.
Is this the case with yours during feedings?

Since, I don't visit here much and am more active on
Manhattan reefs can you either PM me?
I go under the name of earthguy00
or you can e-mail me directly at my primary address
at>>>>earthguy00@hotmail.com

I'd appreciate the reply back.

thx.

KEVIN

My experience with a yellow banded possum wrasse is quite different than other posters. I have had mine for many years and is one of my favorite fish. Although reclusive during mid-day sun, he comes out and specifically interacts with me when the light levels are lowered. He seems to hang out with a single ocellaris clown with absolutely no aggression between the two. I have had others bully it, but it seemed to always defend itself and the aggression would stop. With that said, do not mix it with an aggressive species. He does not eat flatworms, but aggressively seeks out pods. The possum wrasse swimming behavior is one of the more interesting characteristics, more like a hummingbird or underwater ROV. He generally keeps the caudal fin collapsed so it it arrow shaped and rarely uses it for propulsion. Don't expect a dazzling color from a yellow banded, but personality galore.

Fish that initially bullied it were red hawkfish (little), royal gramma (more than a little), midas blenny (only when the possum challenged the midas, but that is the typical behavior of a midas), and a pygmy hawkfish (very little interaction). My Potter's angel does not bother it at all.

trinidiver
12/14/2012, 06:48 AM
I have my yellow banded possum wrasse about 10mths naw and it has truly settled in. He was reclusive the first 3-4mths, but now. he is alol over. he even comes and takes food from the surface close to my hand. He knows when the pump goes into feed mode to head out of the rockworks. Only my royal gramma and the solon wrasse gives him the aggresion once in a whole, but he stands his ground. He eats mysis, plankton and krill and is always in and out the rockworks picking on the live rock. I wish i could of gotten the tanaka also in my tank. He's about 1 1/4" and he's in a 200+ reef with close to 300lbs of live rock. I have never seen him bother corals or inverts (over 60 snails, 11 shrimp & a serpant star)