PDA

View Full Version : Adding Fish Need Help

bluespotocto
12/24/2010, 05:48 PM
So i have my 75 sps dominant tank is all set up and ready to start adding fish. Right now i have one clown fish and one PJ cardinal. So i need help in what order i should add the fish. Here is the list i am going for. Also please tell me if this is too many. The tank is also the start to a bigger tank so i will start the the baby tangs off in there then put them in the bigger tank.

-2 fire gobies
-zebra dart goby
-Anthiases? (Need more info about them please)
-one more clown
-Royal Gamma
-6 or 4 line wrasse
-carpenter flasher wrasse
-Blue hippo tang
Yellow tang

bluespotocto
12/25/2010, 05:06 PM
???

dviper150
12/25/2010, 05:12 PM
You should only try to keep only 1 species of clown in the tank. Add a smaller one for whatever clown you already have to prevent fighting. I know that some 6 line wrasses can become evil to other smaller fish but someone else can chime in on that. I have never kept Anthias before so I don't know much about them.

As far as the tangs go, I would add them at the same time. What size tank will they be going in? Is the bigger tank already setup?

bluespotocto
12/25/2010, 05:15 PM
The other clown i will be adding is going to be the same species. I have heard the 4 line wrasse is not as of aggressive as the 6 line. Is that true?

dviper150
12/25/2010, 05:17 PM
I am not sure about wrasses.

iamwrasseman
12/25/2010, 05:20 PM
if you put the tangs in last then there is probably no particular order that will make a big difference IMO . i would not put a four lined wrasse in a tank as they get aggressive over time and you may not notice when its happening but they can stress a fish to the point of death . also the six lined wrasses are good for critter removal but do get aggressive in many cases so i too would leave him out of the picture . there is also a possability of aggresion from most clown fish .a melanurus wrasse would be so much better both as a tank mate and removal of pests .
the pests that i am speaking of are red bugs and other small flatworms which you may encounter unless you QT everything

bluespotocto
12/25/2010, 06:44 PM
I looked up the wrasse and it says i should be careful about putting that wrasse in a reef tank and it also says be careful with inverts. Should i still get that wrasse? I want the peppermint shrimp to help with aptasia I am getting my list ready. Also i am thinking about the tomini tang or the two spot bristle tooth tang or the kole yellow eye tang instead of the blue tang since they get so big. Out of those three which one would you recommend.

reefergeorge
12/25/2010, 07:21 PM
Tangs last, and it really doesn't matter with the others.

snorvich
12/25/2010, 09:54 PM
-2 fire gobies
-one more clown
-6 or 4 line wrasse
-carpenter flasher wrasse
-Blue hippo tang

- 2 Firefish will only work in the long run if they are a pair
- Lined Wrasses are likely to intimidate a firefish and will not mix well with fairy or flasher wrasses
- Hepatus tang recommended minimum tank size is 240 gallons

bluespotocto
12/26/2010, 12:15 AM
So i will get the gobies in a pair and for the tangs i will be getting the yellow tang and the kole yellow eye tang. Will those tangs work and can i get some more info on the yellow eye tang? I am still wondering if the hoevens wrasse will work with the reef and if it is okay that i keep a peppermint shrimp in the tank also?

Korrine
12/26/2010, 11:45 AM
An H Melanurus should be fine with shrimp. Mine was. I think mine was a 4" or 5" long fish. Very pretty. She was always hunting the rocks for my flatworms. Very fun to watch. I could add anything after her with no aggression at all. Now it may eat feather dusters and stuff like that, though.

Other wrasses to look into include:
Halichoeres iridis Radiant Wrasse
Halichoeres chrysus Yellow wrasse

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/halichoeres.htm

bluespotocto
12/26/2010, 01:43 PM
Out of the radiant wrasse and the yellow wrasse and the hoevens wrasse which one is reef safe and the pest for eating all the bad bugs? Also can i get some more info on the kole yellow eye tang? thanks

Korrine
12/26/2010, 10:06 PM
all 3 are reef safe as far as inverts/corals except for feather duster worms. All 3 will eat flatworms. They also will eat pods.

I would say the yellow is more attractive. It's a bright yellow.

Here's the Kole tang:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/koletang.htm

Angel*Fish
12/26/2010, 10:16 PM
You should only try to keep only 1 species of clown in the tank. Add a smaller one for whatever clown you already have to prevent fighting. That doesn't work for all clowns. Adding a mate for a female maroon is not such a simple process. Preparation and planning are needed. Even if it's a perc or oscellaris, adding a fish just because it's smaller can be a big problem. You want to make sure the fish you add is clearly a juvenile or male (and smaller).

bluespotocto
12/26/2010, 11:11 PM
Okay so here is the new list. Tell me what you think.

-yellow tang
-kole yellow eye tang
-2 fire fish gobies
-one more clown the same species as the one in the tank now
-peppermint shrimp
-royal gamma
-yellow wrasse or hoevens wrasse

bluespotocto
12/26/2010, 11:13 PM
Okay so here is the new list. Tell me what you think.

-yellow tang
-kole yellow eye tang
-2 fire fish gobies
-one more clown the same species as the one in the tank now
-peppermint shrimp
-royal gamma
-hoevens wrasse

Korrine
12/27/2010, 09:26 AM
Sounds like it's a higher stocking level. What do you have as far as a sump/skimmer/fuge? I may stock at that level in my 75, but will have a 75g sump with 1/3 of that a fuge and a skimmer rated for up to 400g.

Don't forget, if you have a power outage oxygen levels can be depleted much faster with heavy stocking. Have a back up.

I'll also have carbon and GFO running as well :)

kmac
12/27/2010, 12:14 PM
I would avoid anthias in a 75 sps dominated tank. They are a demanding fish that require multiple feedings. Maybe add those once you move to a larger tank.

kmac
12/27/2010, 01:29 PM
Sorry didnt see the new stocking list. I would only add one tang to your 75 and I would add the yellow eye they are a fun and very peaceful tang that will just eat alage all day. The yellow is great but can be very territorial and aggresive with any new additions down the road.

bluespotocto
12/27/2010, 01:44 PM
If I introduced all the fish at the same time would that work? I am thinking about placing a big order from live aquaria and just getting all them in one order. As for the tang being agressive the list u see is all the fish I am going to add so if put the 2 tanga in last wod that work?

Korrine
12/27/2010, 01:50 PM
It does say in that article I gave you that Kole tangs often don't get along with Zebrasoma tangs. The yellow is a Zebrasoma genus. That being said purple and yellow tangs aren't supposed to get along, but I've seen it work in a 75g tank. Do at your own risk.

Are you sure that your tank has enough filter capacity to add all that at once? How about order all but the tangs and then let the tank sit for a few months before adding the baby tangs simultaneously?

bluespotocto
12/27/2010, 02:12 PM
That's a much better idea. I will add all the fish except the tangs and then later down the road add more. I will do some more research on the tang issue.

Angel*Fish
12/27/2010, 02:15 PM
As I understand it, you can't just add two firefish and hope for the best, you'd want them to be a mated pair prior to adding them.

Korrine
12/27/2010, 02:18 PM
As I understand it, you can't just add two firefish and hope for the best, you'd want them to be a mated pair prior to adding them.

yep. That was in post #9 :)

bluespotocto
12/27/2010, 03:00 PM
If they are not mated pairs will they fight or what will happen?

snorvich
12/27/2010, 03:06 PM
If they are not mated pairs will they fight or what will happen?

You will end up with only one.

Angel*Fish
12/27/2010, 04:38 PM
Bluespot octo - what type of clown do you have? yep. That was in post #9 :)I was just trying to clarify - a pair of fish to one person may mean simply 2 of them :)

bluespotocto
12/27/2010, 10:13 PM
I have an ocellaris. will that still work if i add another one

Angel*Fish
12/27/2010, 10:39 PM
I have an ocellaris. will that still work if i add another onePairing those is not hard, just make sure obtain a male or juvenile. It may seem weird, but it's really ok for the new clown to be much, much smaller than the one you have.

bluespotocto
12/31/2010, 12:18 PM
Ok so i am about to place my order for all the fish except the tangs. I will wait a month before i get the tangs. I am a little worried about the fire fish. How do i get a pair? Should i get them from my LFS? I am still worried about the wrasse. It says its not reef safe. https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+2285&pcatid=2285
I am just making sure because i dont want to order it and it is not reef safe.

Angel*Fish
12/31/2010, 12:34 PM
Just my two cents, but I would think carefully before buying creatures with potential to wipe out populations of beneficial organisms anyway.

bluespotocto
12/31/2010, 12:59 PM
So are you saying i should be careful about he wrasse?

Angel*Fish
12/31/2010, 01:04 PM
Yes - but I don't know much about them. Fairy wrasses and flasher wrasses in general are pelagic feeders and won't bother your rocks or corals. But the others, I don't trust. If you don't care if they eat your pods, that's your personal choice. I just don't want that stuff eaten. Except maybe by a mandarin and in that case of course you set it up so the population is not depleted. But with a wrasse it can be different - they can be eating machines. Some of them may even eat your beneficial worms I'd speculate (?). But I don't know for sure.

bluespotocto
12/31/2010, 01:08 PM
Well one of my main reasons for getting this fish is because i dont have room for a QT tank. I read they will help eat all those bad parasites and stuff.

Angel*Fish
12/31/2010, 01:18 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't think you can rely on any fish to control disease in your tank.

snorvich
12/31/2010, 02:08 PM
Well one of my main reasons for getting this fish is because i dont have room for a QT tank. I read they will help eat all those bad parasites and stuff.

That is NOT a good reason to buy the fish because it will NOT accomplish what you are trying to do. If you are even remotely thinking tangs, you MUST have a quarantine tank. If you absolutely cannot have a QT tank, you should eliminate tangs from your plan.

bluespotocto
12/31/2010, 02:39 PM
It is not to replace it is just to help out with getting rid of the bad pests. I also think it is a very beautiful fish. Is the fish reef safe? That is my main concern right now.

iamwrasseman
12/31/2010, 05:45 PM
good input here and i might add the question of ~ are you adding all the fish at the same time ? it better be well established if so or did i miss something .

bluespotocto
12/31/2010, 06:35 PM
I will be adding all the fish except the tangs at the same time. Also all the fish i am going to be adding are really small.

bluespotocto
12/31/2010, 08:07 PM
dp /

bluespotocto
12/31/2010, 08:08 PM
Does any one know if I order 2 fire fish gobies from www.liveaquaria.com will they send me a pair of fire fish or 2 random fire fish that will fight and kill each other?