PDA

View Full Version : Nano calcium reactor

keithrett
12/24/2010, 07:08 PM
Any body using one on their nano? My nano is SPS dominated and I am having to dose a calcium supplement every day. (its dropping 70ppm per day and most of the corals are just frags) I have limited room on the back of my nano so I would like to be able to place it in the stand and run the hoses up to the tank. I have only been able to find one HOB calcium reactor that I like, link below.

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_CR_1_Nano_Calcium_Reactor_(Media_Not_Included)_Saltwater_Aquarium_Calcium_Reactors-AquaMaxx-UJ3311-FICRRA-vi.html

Thoughts? Experience? Alternatives?

Fredy
12/25/2010, 09:28 PM
I would just set up an Auto top off with a Kalk reactor. I cuurently have one of these set up on my 70g. Works great too and you won't have to bother with CO2

http://www.aquaticsystemsdesign.com/index.php

HTH,
Fredy

cherubfish pair
12/25/2010, 11:27 PM
Personally, I wouldn't run a calcium/CO2 reactor unless it is absolutely necessary. Just a major thing to adjust. I guess that means I won't be having a lot of sps.

keithrett
12/25/2010, 11:35 PM
I have no experience with calcium reactors so I have no clue to how much work they are. (I guess a lot) What happens it the calcium consumption of the tank changes? Will the reactor continue to add the set amount of calcium and possibly overdose the tank? Thanks for the help so far

32mm32
12/26/2010, 12:41 AM
I made the change and started running a calcium reactor and controller on my bio-cube. Wish I would have been running one for the last 6 years. Setting it up was not bad after I realized i needed to take it slow.

keithrett, what is your daily dkh consumption? The reason I ask is your calcium drop seems Very high per day.

cherubfish pair
12/26/2010, 04:08 PM
The thing about calcium reactors that really turns me off is they put a lot of CO2 in the system that drives the pH down. It makes a lot of people continue kalk dosing along with the reactor to keep pH up. And that's where a lot of people started from, kalk dosing, they can't get away from it by adding a reactor. I think I'll just stick with the dosing.

32mm32
12/26/2010, 04:33 PM
The thing about calcium reactors that really turns me off is they put a lot of CO2 in the system that drives the pH down. It makes a lot of people continue kalk dosing along with the reactor to keep pH up. And that's where a lot of people started from, kalk dosing, they can't get away from it by adding a reactor. I think I'll just stick with the dosing.

I was very worried about the ph drop also so it was hard to take that step, however I can say that I went from solid ph of 8.35 before the reactor to a solid 8.25 after. I do have a dual chamber reactor so that probably helps me out there quite a bit. Where I failed was by not adding dolomite to the reactor so I still have to dose that regularly. I was assuming the media I used would have been able to keep my magnesium in check...

cherubfish pair
12/26/2010, 06:51 PM
Where I failed was by not adding dolomite to the reactor so I still have to dose that regularly. I was assuming the media I used would have been able to keep my magnesium in check...
Dolomite? I've never heard of this. You put in the reactor to add extra Magnesium?

32mm32
12/26/2010, 09:21 PM
Cherubfish,
Here is a link to the dolomite i purchased to run in my reactor to replenish my magnesium so i can avoid constant dosing.
http://www.aquacave.com/brightwell-aquatics-brneomag-high-purity-dolomite-br-magnesium-media-for-use-in-reef-br-aquaria-2458.html

Dolomite? I've never heard of this. You put in the reactor to add extra Magnesium?

NucMed
12/27/2010, 08:42 AM
What are you using for filtration? I am having a problem keeping my kh level above 7.0 and pinpointed it down to the carbon I was using. I didn't think all the sps in my biocube 14 were making it dropped so I started with what I was using to filter my tank and found out that the carbon was stripping it like crazy. I took it out and did a water change and the my kh is 7.4 now. I want it higher and learned through this forum that I can use baking soda. I really want to continuously run carbon so hopefully the baking soda will help keep it up when I add the carbon again.

x2uranium
12/27/2010, 09:20 AM
Keith, why dont you dose 2-part with a dosing pump, much easier than adjusting reactor IMO.

cfsindorf
12/28/2010, 11:31 AM
Fredy: Could you post pics/details of how you tied yours to your ATO?

Craig

clowndude
12/28/2010, 06:57 PM
I made the change and started running a calcium reactor and controller on my bio-cube. Wish I would have been running one for the last 6 years. Setting it up was not bad after I realized i needed to take it slow.

keithrett, what is your daily dkh consumption? The reason I ask is your calcium drop seems Very high per day.

Do you have pictures of your biocube? What is or was you calcium consumption before putting th reactor on your tank?

Fredy
12/28/2010, 08:06 PM
Fredy: Could you post pics/details of how you tied yours to your ATO?

Craig

I run a water line directly from my RODI unit to my fish tank. In my sump I have an Auto Top Off unit (2 switch with safety) When the water level drops it opens the solenoid and fills my Kalk Reactor. The water fills the reactor that has Kalk solution in it which then tops off the sump tripping the switch that shuts off the soleniod and stops filling the reactor. I only have to replenish my Kalk once every 3-4 weeks. The timer for mixing is set to run for 5 min every hour. I have alot of SPS, some LPS, and 3 clams. It keeps up with the demand fairly well. I also do 15% water changes every 1-2 weeks depending on my schedule.

ASD http://www.aquaticsystemsdesign.com/index.php has a small reactor that they make or they will make you a custom one as well at no extra cost. I purchased the biggest one I could fit in my cabinet.

I purchased my Auto Top Off from www.autotopoff.com in their "custom" section they have one for Nano Sytem that will fit in the rear chamber.

RODI
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f295/Fredydeleon/045.jpg
Sump, Kalk Reactor is on the left side. Blue line from the top of the reator is what feeds the tank. You can see the RED solenoid just to the upper right of the Kalk Reactor. If you look in the sump behind the return pump you can see the Auto top off switches just to the right and behind the pvc pipe.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f295/Fredydeleon/70%20Corner/IMG_2164.jpg

I hope that helps. I was planning on setting up a Biocube and contacted the guys at Autotpoff.com and they told me about the NANO set up. I love the set up on my 70. I have been using their kits for over 3yrs with no problems at all.

Fredy