PDA

View Full Version : carbon?

Tater11
12/25/2010, 05:24 PM
what's the best way to run carbon? using it in a reactor or can you get good results from using it in a filter bag inside a filter sock?thanks

jc-reef
12/25/2010, 06:08 PM
You can get good results with either I imagine...as long as it is being used as 'active' filtration (water is forced to go through) and not 'passive' (water goes around it - like a bag placed in a sump's water column).

I personally use a 100 micron filter pad over a drip plate with a 2nd micron pad that is sandwiched with carbon in between, so the water is forced throughthe carbon; thus getting better performance and results. I change out carbon every week when pad is dirty/plugged with detritus. I have about a 100-110gal of total water volume (minus rocks, sand, etc.). Per Randy's/Boomer's guideline of 1 cup of carbon per 100 gal volume used per month; I split into 1/4-1/3 cup per week. This has worked VERY WELL for my set up.

Tater11
12/25/2010, 06:31 PM
thanks i have a reactor for it we are setting up a new tank and i wanted to try it this way just to free up an extra outlet.i guess i could try a bag in between the baffles in my sump.that way the water has to pass over it.

jc-reef
12/26/2010, 12:18 AM
Ive seen it done that way too...good luck!

wickedfish
12/26/2010, 12:26 AM
I have tried both but the reactor seems to have more contact. Don't know if thats better. But when I had it in a bag getting water poured over it by flow the water would be less clean than the reactor method. In a reactor I see crystal clear water for a good week after addition and in a bag I get 48 hours. My experience only. It also depends on the grade of carbon, big time.

snorvich
12/26/2010, 12:06 PM
If you are putting it in a reactor, be sure to rinse; some brands have lots of carbon dust. I have used carbon in a reactor and in a bag; most effective is the reactor.

Tater11
12/26/2010, 08:46 PM
If you are putting it in a reactor, be sure to rinse; some brands have lots of carbon dust. I have used carbon in a reactor and in a bag; most effective is the reactor.ok thanks im going to go ahead and use the reactor it's a tlf 550.i've been using the esv carbon it seems alot less dusty than others.

calamityjane
12/29/2010, 09:21 PM
i use carbon in a micron bag placed in sump , works good for me