PDA

View Full Version : 6 stage Ocean Reef + 1?

beatle
12/26/2010, 06:38 AM
I purchased an Ocean Reef +1 from a fellow reefer along with a lot of extra filters and a few other extras. He had 1 and 5 micron sediment filters along with stage 2 and 3 chloramine filters. There is also the final DI stage and an additional sediment filter stage, plus an Aquatec 8800 booster pump. I'm planning to upgrade this to a 150 gpd with two membranes. I'm guessing the order to be pump -> 5u sed -> 5u sed -> stage 2 carbon -> stage 3 carbon -> membranes -> DI. However, I'm wondering if I'd benefit from a 10u sediment filter before the 5u.

Thefilterguys
12/26/2010, 12:35 PM
No benifit from a 10 micron filter, place your first 5 micron sediment stage before the pump. After the pump use a 1 micron sediment then the two carbon stages.

Be sure you connect the pump with a full 1/4" water supply, don't use a self piercing saddle valve as they only supply a 1/8" connection.

Jim

beatle
12/26/2010, 12:42 PM
Thanks Jim. I wouldn't have thought to put the 5 micron sediment before the pump.

I also have the pressure switch for the pump - does that go after the last carbon block just before the ASOV?

beatle
12/26/2010, 02:39 PM
Well this graphic from your site sure helps. :)

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/images/BOOSTERPUMPSIXSTAGEdiagram.JPG

Thefilterguys
12/27/2010, 09:27 AM
Glad you located that drawing, as you see the switch goes in the low pressure area after the membrane and ASOV valve. Once the system pressurizes to 40 psi at that point, the pump will shutoff and then the ASOV valve will shutoff the waste water. The system can not have any leaks or the pump will cycle and waste water will continue to flow.

Jim

beatle
01/02/2011, 10:12 AM
Just got the system all plumbed and mounted, then replaced the filters which were all completely filthy. It runs like a champ now. Is there a way to gauge the membrane's life? It was previously used on a large system and is a couple years old at this point. If I add a second membrane should I also replace this one preemptively? It's still putting out 1-2 TDS water before the DI stage.

Also, for some reason I installed two 5 micron sediment filters before and after the pump. When I realized my mistake, I put the 1 micron sediment in after the pump. Should I now just toss the barely used, but now soaking wet 5 micron out?

Thefilterguys
01/02/2011, 09:56 PM
Membranes generally last two to three years and I have matched old and new together without a problem. It still sounds like it is performing OK so the call is yours.

Put it in a sealed zip lock, still wet, in the fridge, as long as it doesn't mold or mildew it will be OK.

Jim

Nate R
01/19/2011, 03:14 PM
Mr jim,

i recently moved to a new place and it has noticably more water pressure than before. After about 30 days i noticed that the RO unit was producing about a drop per second (before was a steady stream). when i took the membrane out, the blue film was wrinkled and 1" long section of the glued seam was undone.

I replaced all the filters 1 micron, carbon block, di resin, 100gpd membrane and it worked for a while.

now i am back to a puddering 1 drop per second and i took it all apart today and noticed that the blue film on the new membrane was wrinkled again.

do i have to much pressure? junk membranes?

Thefilterguys
01/19/2011, 09:48 PM
I have never heard of this problem in a membrane before, is it a Filmtec? Usually membranes perform better with higher pressure and Filmtec's are rated to 150 psi.

Jim

Nate R
01/19/2011, 10:04 PM
its a watts membrane. 100gpd.

thats not good if you have never herd of it. lol

for example after i put it all together it took 20 minutes for the di resin canister to fill up