PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer not working

mnotta
12/26/2010, 07:19 PM
I have a hob eshopp psk 100. It had been running without a hitch for 6 months. A few days ago it stopped bubbling. I think I no the problem just don't know how to fix it. When I blow into the air intake it will begin to bubble again, so it is not pulling in air (I'm assuming). My question is how can I fix it?

Thanks for the help,
Matt

Coral_Craig
12/26/2010, 07:32 PM
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with that model skimmer so I can't offer any detail, but I sounds like you could have some salt creep in the air intake. Try (if you can) running some warm fresh water through the air intake and see if it helps any.

mnotta
12/26/2010, 07:35 PM
Ok thanks for the advice. Should the unit be off or on when I try this?

snulma1
12/26/2010, 07:45 PM
Craig is right, sounds like something is blocking the venturi line. Another thing you can and should do, is take the skimmer out and soak/clean it in a solution of vinegar. I also would run the vinegar through the airline hose.

Coral_Craig
12/26/2010, 07:47 PM
No problem. It would likely be best to remove it from the tank and give it a good cleaning (especially to the air intake, pump and impeller) with ro/di water and some brushes. And remember it will need some re-break-in time to start working again.

Coral_Craig
12/26/2010, 07:50 PM
Craig is right, sounds like something is blocking the venturi line. Another thing you can and should do, is take the skimmer out and soak/clean it in a solution of vinegar. I also would run the vinegar through the airline hose.

Beat me to it :lmao:. Yeah using vinegar would actually be better than just water as it will help break down any salt and other deposits.

mnotta
12/26/2010, 08:05 PM
Ok thanks guys. Im gonna set it up to soak in vinegar now and clean it all and give it another shot.
Thanks everybody

Percula9
12/26/2010, 10:56 PM
I have this skimmer and the venturi will clog with salt. Remove from tank and disconect the motor and clean the venturi.

Llamaguy
01/27/2011, 01:49 PM
I was able to suck on the air hose a little to pull water 99% of the way and and let go, pulled the water down slowly and then started working like normal.

njlpowell
01/28/2011, 01:01 AM
Sounds like your intake parts are in need of a vinegar bath.

Neptune_Fan
01/28/2011, 07:31 AM
i had an issues similar to this last week with my hob skimmer..i could not figure out why it wasnt making any bubbles. strangely i also had a clown that went missing the same day. decided i would do a WC and clean the skimmer while i was at it. so, i cleaned the skimmer and put it back on tank, still did the samething. i figured i would now take the thing apart and see if maybe was clogging the line. i thought maybe some HA or something. low and behold i found Nemo, but he didnt make it out of the skimmer. i guess this little fellow thought he could do what he saw in the movies.