PDA

View Full Version : Your refugium

rcoughtrey
12/27/2010, 09:11 AM
Since my 3 day blackout two weeks ago my tank is looking great. No cyno no nothing in the main display tank.

However I'm concerned that my refugium is looking on the dirty side. I can see bubble algae and cyno growing on the cheato in there.

I have never had a refugium so this might be normal. I added about 4 snails to refugium last week, not really sure if that is a enough or if they are best to add.

I'm using the 24" CPR hang on the back.

Any thoughts as I said this maybe normal.

Sisterlimonpot
12/27/2010, 09:28 AM
I look at it as if you're going to have algae might as well be in the fuge where you can't see it. However if it's in the fuge, there's no reason for it to make its way back to the display. Do you have lights over your fuge? If so try to add some chaetomorpha to it to compete for the excess nitrates and phosphates, this will suppress the growth of other algae’s in the system.

rcoughtrey
12/27/2010, 09:49 AM
Yeah, there is a ton of cheato in there.

I have the CPR 16 watt light system which is recommend with the refugium.

The cyno is actually attached to the cheato lol

muttley000
12/27/2010, 12:07 PM
What kind of flow is in there? cyano doesn't like higher flow.

jeff@zina.com
12/27/2010, 01:34 PM
I'm not normally concerned about cyano in the refugium or sump, but I don't like algae there that I didn't put there myself. Light in a refugium is subjective, and many like to light it 24/7 or on the off-hours of the display. I do mine at the same timing as the display, mostly so I don't have to spend another $8 on a separate timer. :)

I don't have algae issues with the exception of very minor hair algae that the refugium CUC (Blue legs and an assortment of snails, plus a peppermint shrimp who managed to get in there...) takes care of.

Jeff

rcoughtrey
12/27/2010, 03:13 PM
Not much flow in my refugium, there is no powerhead just graverty.

I cleaned some of the cheato just and when i picked it up it was filled with brown lose crap that leaked back into the main tank. Could i syphon that out in the future you think, or is there a more serious issue.

I only have a few snails in there right, should i add a shrimp and crabs?