PDA

View Full Version : cyano

Chipie
12/27/2010, 08:16 AM
Hi,
I have been dosing vsv for a while without problems but now i'm starting to get some cyano :( Can i substitute the vodaka part with just vinegar and sugar. How do i calculate ? I'm currently dosing 12ml of vsv.

HighlandReefer
12/27/2010, 08:56 AM
You can substitute vinegar for vodka. You would need to use 8X as much vinegar as vodka.

Chipie
12/27/2010, 09:56 AM
Ok so i'm using this formula. 200ml vodka,50ml vinegar and 2 table spoons sugar.
I would then use 1650ml vinegar and 2 table spoons sugar ? Still dosing 12ml ?

Hum....that doesn't sound right, does it?

HighlandReefer
12/27/2010, 10:20 AM
Your dosing a lot of vodka right now. Did you dose smaller amounts to start with and gradually increased the rate? Your nitrate levels were high and slowly reduced to a undetectable reading and then you cut the dose in half? What is your nitrate level now? :)

Chipie
12/27/2010, 12:16 PM
Yes i did up the dosage very slowly. My Nitrates are still at 15. I went on a long vacation(1 month) and my brother who was taking care of the tank didn't do any water changes. And i think he fed a little bit more than me LOL

I want to dose more to get the nitrates down(with water changes too) but because i now have cyano. I'm not sure i should.

HighlandReefer
12/27/2010, 01:39 PM
Personally I would remove the cyano completely and maintain your current dose as is even though I prefer vinegar myself. Extra food and less water changes can drive up your dissolved organic levels (causing increased cyano growth) and may take some time to get down to proper levels. Running GAC helps out here if you are not using it and refreshing it in this situation could help. ;)

Chipie
12/27/2010, 01:43 PM
Ok i'll keep the dosage like that for now. I'm using phosguard and changing it often and carbon also. So i guess it will just take more time and water changes to get this under control. Hope so anyway.

HighlandReefer
12/27/2010, 02:01 PM
Sounds good to me. Once your nitrate and phosphate drop to an undetectable reading, I would drop the dose about to 1/2 and go from there to maintain nitrate level. If after that cyano persists you may want to try converting to straight vinegar without sugar or you can try removing sugar from your mix and see how that goes. IME sugar is more condusive to cyano, although there are no facts to back this and many variables can come into play. Good luck. ;)

Chipie
12/27/2010, 04:10 PM
Ok thanks. I'm wondering if dosing some bacteria would help?

bertoni
12/27/2010, 04:50 PM
It might, but there isn't any evidence to show that the bacterial products do much. They could be helpful, though. The usefulness could vary from tank to tank, for example.