PDA

View Full Version : Stocking a 29g Reef

TMF89
12/27/2010, 05:56 PM
Hey guys. I'm putting together a 29 gallon reef tank. I have a RemoraC Nano HOB skimmer, one naon Koralia 400gph (plan on getting a second at some point), and a MH 150w fixture with two 65w PCs. I'm doing 30lbs of sand with 30lbs of rock. I'd like to do four-five fish, with a few corals. The only fish I really have decided I want is a mandarin, I know they're hard to care for but I have an LFS who says he can get the ORA tank-raised that eat frozen foods reliably. Besides that, I was thinking some kind of wrasse, and either a small angel (if I can find one that's reef safe), another colorful wide bodied fish (suggestions?), and either a goby or rarer clown, like a picasso, not sure yet. What do you guys think?

MikeandNicole
12/27/2010, 06:27 PM
If you can get the ORA mandarin, then you should not have a problem. I would not get a wild caught one in a tank that new.

Wrasses are tough as they get a bit bigger, look for a possum wrasse. They stay small are reef safe and not aggressive. There are several up on divers den right now to show you the different color patterns they have.

I have a flamback in our 30g cube right now and he leaves LPS alone but likes the SPS and gorgonian polyps. A pygmy angel might also be an option.

Any goby in a 30g will probably be fine, look for a pair or one with a pistol shrimp for a cool combo.

If you are going to get a clown, get a pair IMO.

Look at the ORA gold assesor basslets, tank raised bangaii cardinals, or some firefish (if it is covered). You can also look at maybe a pearly headed jawfish (again if covered).

Angel*Fish
12/27/2010, 07:17 PM
Centropyges, dwarf angels, need a minimum of 55g and some of them need more. It's better to wait until your tank is 6 mo old if possible or at least have a LOT of rockwork stacked and arranged properly for angels.

If you're getting a wrasse make sure it's a pelagic feeder that wouldn't compete with the mandarin for food.

Mandarins are slow, not to be rushed, methodical feeders. Even if your fish will take frozen foods, it's a large commitment to make sure he gets enough to eat before the other fish snap the food up. I would read up on the experiences of others who've done this in the same size tank and techniques like using a feeding jar etc. to be sure you completely understand the time and effort involved.

Toddrtrex
12/27/2010, 07:21 PM
If you can get the ORA mandarin, then you should not have a problem. I would not get a wild caught one in a tank that new.

I wouldn't say that, numerous people (( will see if I can find the thread )), had issues with even them not eating prepared foods and starving to death.

evb9
12/27/2010, 09:48 PM
+1 ON TODD.
A.) they could lie because ORA costs more. B.) I got one that I could not get to eat (had to get rid of him).

(what color you like) Basslet, (color again) firefish, pair of platnium clowns. Stocked haha :thumbsup:

snorvich
12/27/2010, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't say that, numerous people (( will see if I can find the thread )), had issues with even them not eating prepared foods and starving to death.

You are new, takes Todd's advice and do NOT start with a Mandarin, especially an ORA mandarin that is dependent on target feeding. A 29 gallon tank which is a reef tank should not have an angelfish.

TMF89
12/28/2010, 02:03 AM
Alright guys well I've done some thinking and decided to hold off on the reef aspect of this venture for now. I could use the $ from not buying a fixture, and I really like the look of the Flame Angelfish. Could I do one of those, some sort of colorful goby, a wrasse, and a fourth, maybe a bangai cardinal? I really would like a mandarin, and know the risks. I'm also starting up a 20L however, maybe it would be easier to put the mandarin in that smaller, easier to manage tank? And I think I'd rather have the clown in there as well, so that opens up another spot in my 29 gallon. So, a Flame angel, colorful wrasse, goby, and bangai cardinal? What do you guys think?

small alien
12/28/2010, 10:02 AM
I think you should sell your gear and start over with a 40, 50 or 55 FOWLR. Do it now before you get further in and end up with multiple small tanks. You'll have so many more options and be so much happier in the long run. And it won't cost you much more in the long run either. Good luck.

Angel*Fish
12/28/2010, 11:01 AM
I'm sorry but I think 30g is too small for a flame. I make no distinction about whether it's a reef, my concern is for the fish, not the corals. If you are dead set on an angel for that size tank, I'd go with a tiny one like an argi.

Like Alien said it sounds to me like you'd be much happier with a 55g, if it's not too late. If you get one, you'll thank yourself for having it drilled with an overflow installed, even if you don't plan on having a sump at this time.

TMF89
12/28/2010, 12:38 PM
Honestly at this point I'm tired of planning, I think I've revised my plans for a SW tank about half a dozen times in as many months. I feel like if I don't get something started, I'll never get around to doing it, lol. I understand what you guys are saying, and believe me I agree, but at this point I think two smaller tanks are my best option. And loud and clear on the Flame angel. So maybe a wrasse, goby, a bangai cardinal, and a pair of picasso clowns? I like the look of them.

TMF89
01/07/2011, 03:26 PM
Figured I'd drag this thread up from the dead, I posted in the stocking list thread in the New To The Hobby but it got overlooked, I figure I can get better attention and more detailed answers here anyway! lol

Setting up a 29g reef that's fish-centered however. So far I have:

Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse

Bangai Cardinal

Black Cap Basslet

Osc. Clown

Would those four plus some kind of Goby work? Thanks.

treylane
01/07/2011, 03:59 PM
Excellent list! Each of those fish is hardy and slightly aggressive, so they should have enough spunk to handle themselves against the other fish. :D

TMF89
01/07/2011, 04:26 PM
I think that's the first time someone's told me that I'm on the right track without any suggestions, concerns, or warnings! Feels good, lol. I'm thinking a Midas Blenny as the fifth fish? None of those other fish are really bright yellow, so I think it'd compliment them well.

small alien
01/07/2011, 06:22 PM
I think you're basically fine though the flasher might like a little more swimming room. Maybe one of the wrasse experts will weigh in on that.

Good luck.

TMF89
01/07/2011, 08:27 PM
I was eyeing that. I really like the looks of him though, I might switch out to a smaller wrasse. For some reason six-lines don't appeal to me, and the tiny ones like pink striped and possums don't have enough color. Another question for you guys, I have the Koralia 1 which is rated to 400gph, and the maxijet 900 on the Remora, so my total movement is 1300gph. My question is for corals that require a lot of current, will the skimmer's gph count, or are they just talking powerheads when they talk about current in a tank? Thanks.

palmer373
01/08/2011, 12:50 AM
you know that the maxijet 900 (PH right? only familiar with 400s and 1200s) doesnt put out 900gph, i think around 180gph, maybe 200gph.

pumps/powerheads that are used for something other than flow in tank dont count towards flow in tank. i would suggest geeting another K1 or K nano for a PH option.

in no expert on fish, just a 'noob'.

snorvich
01/08/2011, 06:44 AM
pumps/powerheads that are used for something other than flow in tank dont count towards flow in tank.

Well that is not really true.

snorvich
01/08/2011, 06:45 AM
I think you're basically fine though the flasher might like a little more swimming room. Maybe one of the wrasse experts will weigh in on that.

Good luck.

It is marginal for a flasher wrasse. But I agree with your earlier suggestion to get a slightly larger tank.

TMF89
01/08/2011, 12:32 PM
Hm alright. If I buy a smaller one and upgrade in a year or two or three (not sure how long it takes for them to reach maturity), would that be alright? And if the other fish are larger than the flasher wrasse (If I can't buy the other fish smaller as well), will they hararss it at all?

Also, if I were to round it out with some kind of blenny, and replace the clown with a Yellow Candy Hogfish, would that be doable? So five fish total.

velvetelvis
01/08/2011, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't bet on upgrading your tank. Not that I doubt your intentions, but a lot can happen in a year that can prevent you from upgrading your tank. The best bet is always to buy only fish that will be able to spend their entire lifespan in the tank you have right now. You can always buy the "upgrade" fish if and when you do get a bigger tank.

TMF89
01/08/2011, 07:17 PM
I appreciate what you're saying but I already have a 55 gallon tank i can use, but currently its a freshwater community tank. It won't be too hard to convert to a saltwater, and i know a lot of you will tell me to just wait and do that, but I already have everything for the 29 and I don't have the time to set up the 55. I have the tank though, so I'm very confident I can upgrade when the time comes.

TMF89
01/08/2011, 07:36 PM
I appreciate what you're saying but I already have a 55 gallon tank i can use, but currently its a freshwater community tank. It won't be too hard to convert to a saltwater, and i know a lot of you will tell me to just wait and do that, but I already have everything for the 29 and I don't have the time to set up the 55. I have the tank though, so I'm very confident I can upgrade when the time comes.

small alien
01/08/2011, 08:34 PM
We believe you. Good luck.

velvetelvis
01/08/2011, 08:50 PM

Ah, gotcha. I didn't realize you already had another tank. Good luck to you then, and post pictures! :p

Angel*Fish
01/08/2011, 09:11 PM
Yellow Candy Hogfish? I'm not familiar with that fish, but that sounds like something that will eat lots of beneficial organisms in your tank. Which doesn't sound like a big deal until you're fighting algae and nitrate levels. If that fish is a pod and or worm eater, I'd read up and think about it carefully. And if it eats pods, it wouldn't work with a mandarin. Even though a mandarin eats pods, you maintain the population so there is a continuous supply. But some fishes will voraciously eat them up to almost zero in a few weeks.

TMF89
01/10/2011, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the heads up, but I've done a little research and so far haven't found anything to suggest they're picky eaters or anything like that.

And since you asked, here she is! That's freshwater right now, along with my RemoraC Nano skimmer. There's a random HOB filter that'll get taken off, along with some cheap powerhead (I have a Koralia 1, but if you check out my "issues" thread in the Equipment forum you'll see why it's not in there lol). I have to find a job so I can buy a light for it, and the rock is cycling in a tub in the basement (I can't find the right fitting for my RODI unit to make more water, and there's not enough water for this tank and another 20L I'm doing to keep the rock submerged, lol). But it's coming along slowly but surely!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r39/TylerFlom89/IMAG0149.jpg

MikeandNicole
01/10/2011, 08:56 AM
For our 30g tank we run an mp10 on there and it is plenty of flow. If you are still looking at Koralias we ran two number 2s on there before we upgraded to the mp10. We were looking to keep mostly SPS hence the higher flow.

TMF89
01/14/2011, 12:54 AM
Alright guys well I got the rockwork done! It's not finalized by any means, but what do you guys think of this? Oh and the lighting is just some clamp ons, I don't have a fixture yet.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r39/TylerFlom89/IMAG0154.jpg

roushmustang
01/14/2011, 09:03 PM
Honestly at this point I'm tired of planning, I think I've revised my plans for a SW tank about half a dozen times in as many months. I feel like if I don't get something started, I'll never get around to doing it, lol.

same
its my 90 that im stocking and its like im getting these two fish.. wait do i wanna spend 200 on two fish or do i want to spend 30 on one and three months later spend about 50 on another and stop at that

my list has gone A-wire in the past few weeks

Angel*Fish
01/15/2011, 08:09 PM
Alright guys well I got the rockwork done! It's not finalized by any means, but what do you guys think of this? Oh and the lighting is just some clamp ons, I don't have a fixture yet.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r39/TylerFlom89/IMAG0154.jpg
I like the loose stacking! :D

AC2020x
08/08/2012, 11:38 PM
From reading some of these posts I would really suggest taking your time with fish stocking. Starting with saltwater 2 years ago, I began with a 29g as well. After getting my first fish and it seeming to do pretty well.. My tank was not fully established and later it resulted in my tank crashing within 6 months due to not taking it slowly enough and giving stuff time for the tank to mature. Also with a 29g tank, I really wouldn't plan on adding too much livestock. Where some fish might seem nice and pretty... I'd prefer fish that will be happy for years within your tank with minimal change while they grow in their environment. While you may be able to switch tanks, complications occur and any switch is really tough on all the fish.

As for your flow, I'd look for some suggestions on other threads of what other people have done to make the flow less constant and more changing. In nature corals do not thrive by just being hit by water from one direction and 1 constant speed 24/7. That's why i'd suggest a mp10 which is what I have for my 29g.

Also where did you get your rock? It looks pretty cool good aqua scaping.

And i'd certainly suggest a sump if at all possible. Adds much more stability and flexibility for your tank.

Just a couple of my thoughts. Try not to rush things and take your time