PDA

View Full Version : petco marine salt mix

spamreefnew
12/27/2010, 06:41 PM
I got a petco gift card for the holiday and I was going to use it to purchase redsea or kent salt mix but it seems petco does not carry them in anything bigger than the 15 gallon size witch is a rip off. So I broke down and bought the petco brand salt. It was about 45 bucks for a 150 gallon bucket. The grain size is large IMO. The CA tested at 380 and the ALK at 7dkh. Not great but not bad. I did a 10 gal water change on my 55 gallon system and everything seems fine so far. The salt mixes a bit cloudy but it clears in time. Anybody ever use this salt? Who makes this salt?

coral_killer37
12/27/2010, 06:53 PM
petco sells IO salt. your gift card would have been better used on that.

spamreefnew
12/27/2010, 08:07 PM
thought someone would say that lol ,,thing is that the last 2 buckets of IO salt I got wear WAY off on the elements,,,and yes I mixed the bags before use. And someone had to try this salt right? lol anyways I will use up the bucket and let everyone know the results.

allsps40
12/27/2010, 08:17 PM
^ IO has been having quality issues. I got 2 buckets of RC and one of IO that had problems. I would never use Petco brand salt. I worked for Petco for 2 years and was there when the salt came out. The store stopped using IO for the salt water tanks and I saw a huge difference in a bad way in the fish, water chemistry and the inverts/corals.

SushiGirl
12/27/2010, 08:51 PM
We had a hard time finding any brand name salt at Petco also, and years ago that was where I always bought salt. I think times, or maybe just some locations, have changed. We used a box of Petco salt for our first few water changes, but hard to say it affected anything since it was cycling & had nothing in it.