PDA

View Full Version : Maxi-Mini Carpet Anemone Care?

reefwisher
12/27/2010, 07:48 PM
I did as much research on these anemone as much as I could find on these which was'nt a whole lot and also a lot of different variations of keeping them. I bought my first one today at my lfs. I got it under T-5 lighing which is 10,000K and 460nm actinic plus I also have 2-8000K T-8 bulbs. I have medium flow on it too. Is this OK? Also if you know where I can find more info. on this let me know thanks.

javisaman
12/30/2010, 07:06 PM
As far as I know they are pretty easy to care for (at least as far as anemones go). If they settle down and look healthy they should be fine.

WaffleWalffle22
12/30/2010, 09:19 PM
People have been successful with them under PC, however I wouldn't recommend anything under T5s being that they are anemones. I've never kept them myself, but I've done a good amount of research on it because I'm interested in keeping one.

Gary Majchrzak
12/31/2010, 10:49 AM
Also if you know where I can find more info. on this let me know thanks.research Stichodactyla tapetum

NaClCrocodile
12/31/2010, 04:36 PM
They're pretty bulletproof. T5 is good, I personally like a more blue look but as long as it's a somewhat decent fixture, you should be fine. Keep N and P down and feed about once a week. They're like slightly more difficult mushrooms.

reefer31
01/01/2011, 01:27 AM
The latest Coral magazine has an article on them which was done pretty well. If you do not receive this magazine I would highly recommend it. I love reading it! Sounds like your lighting is ok..

reefwisher
01/01/2011, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the info. I have seen and bought a few issues of coral magazine. Going to get a subscription for it.

CLINTOS
01/03/2011, 07:00 PM
Just got 6 of them under 4 x t5 h.o in a 29G

pretty easy besides the flow.

for some reason they don't open up all the way after 2 week's, so I lowered the flow and now they are 3/4 open.

still messing with the flow thou

small alien
01/04/2011, 09:00 AM
I just put 4 in my 75 under t5s. They are all towards the bottom and appear open and healthy. What do you guys feed them?

devilsthird
01/04/2011, 11:46 AM
The latest Coral magazine has an article on them which was done pretty well. If you do not receive this magazine I would highly recommend it. I love reading it! Sounds like your lighting is ok..

Good info!

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/mini-carpets-perfect-small-sea-anemones

reefwisher
01/04/2011, 11:58 PM
Been feeding mine krills.

RainbowTurtle
07/17/2015, 09:28 PM
Just got 6 of them under 4 x t5 h.o in a 29G

pretty easy besides the flow.

for some reason they don't open up all the way after 2 week's, so I lowered the flow and now they are 3/4 open.

still messing with the flow thou

Actually, I think that much light is too much. These anemones seem to do better in low-medium light and low-med flow. I have mine in a 14 gallon nano with a 240 pwer head for extra flow (any more flow than that and this nano would look like a toilet bowl) and mostly just the lights the tank came with and its doing beautifully. Fully open, eating, not moving around, great color etc. Tank has 10,000k plus the Actinic, one blue strip with 3 LED. Only light mod is an extra external blue light strip with five LED light so 8 all together with the ability to shut the 8 off and have it dimmer. Works nice when they are all on a timer.I better simulates moonlight. I can pick up an extra white later if I need it, but it doesn't seem to so far.I was informed when I got it that light acclimation is extremely important. If they don't open right up, my guess is your light is too strong. I do have a 20g it can move to if it needs my HO t5s. That tank has a 165W (thanks to a great deal on a fellow aquarist) full spectrum adjustable LED light, so I can pretty much give it whatever light it wants. It's never shown any sign of needing to be moved so I keep it where it seems content. I was told these are not like other anemones and low to medium light is much better with these guys. Make sure you have good strong blues though. I think you can work it up to higher light, but take it very slow. If I do find I end up having to move that anemone to the other tank for higher light, I will certainly let you guys know.

RainbowTurtle
07/17/2015, 09:32 PM
Been feeding mine krills.

Awesome. Mine doesn't like myso shrimp for some weird reason. I might try silver sides. Does it seem to eat the krill without any issues? Mine has eaten uncooked table shrimp bits. I have also noticed the odd munnid (a type of herbivore Isopod) wonder onto the anemone and never wander back out again. I have no idea if it's eating them or if I just can't see where they climb back out. My tank is over populated with these at the moment though, so eating them would not be a bad thing. :)