PDA

View Full Version : Another Worm ID Thread

SushiGirl
12/27/2010, 09:41 PM
And this time I don't have the answer LOL.

Anyone have a clue as to what this worm is? Just acclimated and placed this (free, yay!) zoa frag & saw this worm waving around. My pics were crap, so my boyfriend took this one. With the magnifying glass, it looks like it has tiny polyps clustered around on its "head" and I can see a few down the otherwise smooth, white body.

SushiGirl
12/27/2010, 11:42 PM
Shameless bump in case someone comes along before I hit the road tomorrow for 8 hours!

mscarpena
12/28/2010, 06:31 PM
Is it maybe a shrunk up hydriod?? If not wait for Leslie shes the best.

LeslieH
12/29/2010, 12:10 PM
Mark you're getting really good! It's a contracted digitate hydroid. Some of them have very powerful stings that annoy corals. Your new zoas look okay so maybe this isn't one of the bad hydroids.

SushiGirl
12/29/2010, 10:26 PM
Hmmmm, well, it was moving around like a worm, and I've never seen a hydroid do that, but I've never had digitate hydroids before. It was coming out of a hole in the rock. I managed to pull about half of it out of the hole last night, as it was extending out a lot and whipping around in the current, really irritating the zoas, it pulled like a worm LOL. I'm out of town now, so can't check on it, so hoping everything's good when I get home!

Thanks, Leslie, I was hoping you'd show up to ease my mind! :D

Oh, and I forgot to add that from looking around at worm hitchhikers, it looked the most like an Oenonid worm from Chuck's Addiction worm hitchhikers site except for that kinda club shaped head. Just don't know for sure.

Edit: Just googled around, and from the blurry pics I could find, it was definitely a digitate hydroid. Y'all are the best, I love learning new stuff!

mscarpena
12/30/2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks Leslie. I love little odd critters. I have a bunch in both my tanks and never really caused any issues. I would not worry too much about it. They have come in contact with about everything in my tanks and no ill effects.

gjh289
01/17/2011, 05:08 PM
I have the same issue and looks just like your digitate hydroid. I noticed my zoas starting closing and becoming irritated. During the day I really don't see them but at night there are way to many to even count. Any luck getting rid of them????

italquam
01/21/2011, 09:51 AM
Anyone have any input on Vermetid snails? are they good or bad for the tank?

mscarpena
01/22/2011, 09:58 AM
Not really either. They can irritate some corals so I usually crush them, but they dont cause any serious issues.