PDA

View Full Version : New Coral... I think it's an Encrusting Monti

chuckdallas
12/28/2010, 12:09 PM
I just bought a frag. I thought he said Montipora, so I placed it up high. It didn't look well, so I've got it about 4 inches off the sand now (200-300 PAR), as I "think" it recuperates.

The PAR levels are about 500-600 about halfway down (10-11 inches of 22 inches) and 800-900 at 8-9 inches from the top. I have 1100 about 4 inches below the surface, where my Maxima Clam sits.

What are the lighting and flow requirements for encrusting montiporas?

Now that's it's acclimated for 2-3 days, should I move it up an inch or two each day for the next 2-3 days?

Here's a pic:

iap
12/28/2010, 06:28 PM
You should always start new frags at the bottom then move up over time. And montis dont need to be placed in high light anyways.

NyReefNoob
12/28/2010, 07:01 PM
and how did you get par measurements ? i dont always start sps down low, depending on the lighting system it came from will vary where i start it at

flyyyguy
12/28/2010, 09:55 PM
could be a setosa.

very nice coral regardless. looks like it has serious potential for color

I agree with nynoob that if I know where they camefrom I dont necessarily start them all the way at the bottom

yours is somewhat bleached though, and the setosa is a lower light coral to begin with. DEFINITELY low on that one to bring it back to health

good luck with it. search for setosa and you will see what it can end up looking like(if thats what it is)

chuckdallas
01/02/2011, 01:55 PM
I use a Milwaukee Luxmeter to measure PAR readings. I don't know where to place it. It was bleached, but didn't seem to get color back down low (300-400 PAR).