PDA

View Full Version : green star polyps and pulsating zenia?

cassklar
12/28/2010, 03:03 PM
I have question I have a 37 gallon tank I have zoas favia and a rbta with a pair of oceleris clowns the thing I do.t understand is everything is growing fine expt my polyps and xenia which I thought is weird because they are hardy they die or don't open checked my parimeters ph8.2 alk 10 cal. 420 nitrites 0 nitrates 0 salinity 1.025 any suggestions would be great

snorvich
12/28/2010, 03:05 PM
I have no idea based on what you supplied. However those two animals normally try to take over a tank; perhaps you are lucky?

Sugar Magnolia
12/28/2010, 03:08 PM
Some people just have no luck with xenia. What kind of lighting are you running, flow, placement?

cassklar
12/28/2010, 03:15 PM
I have 2 150 watt mh and 4 t5 I run the t5s for nine hours and mh for seven when I first started my tank my nephew gave me some off each and they were doing great my daughter really loves the bright green polyps but they don't come out my flow on them is medium and they are placed in the middle of my tank but my zoas are growing I kind of miss the bright green polyps.myself is there something that needs to be done they have been in my tank for a week now and they have not come out but the polyps are still purple and not desinigrateing

pramberg
12/28/2010, 03:24 PM
Like Sugar said, some people just can not get certain corals to do well in their system. Xenia and GSP are two of the most common people struggle with.

Sugar Magnolia
12/28/2010, 03:25 PM
That's a lot of light! Have you tried moving them to a lower area in the tank? Also, it's not uncommon for gsp to stay closed after being disturbed.

epic.exposures
12/28/2010, 03:27 PM
Stop by your LFS and get phytoplankton. Whn I first bought pulsing zenia it was a dark brown color and had a sriveled stalk. A friend noted that they didn't look healthy ad advised to use phytoplankton. A couple drop a day and my zenia is spreading like wildfire. Its in a bottel with a green picture on teh front.

cassklar
12/28/2010, 03:30 PM
The only thing is they used to grow fine with the same light but I am going to try and move them lower and see what happens

epic.exposures
12/28/2010, 03:30 PM
I cannot spell today, sorry.

cassklar
12/28/2010, 03:40 PM
Will that phytoplankton also help the gsp

Sk8r
12/28/2010, 03:46 PM
One thing that MIGHT help: both these species like iodine. In a small system it's just crazy to supplement iodine, because you can overdose it so easily---but---what fish eat is poo'ed back into the tank. Try feeding dried krill to your fish. It is quite high in iodine and selenium, two things xenia and nems really need, so it might help everything at once. Plus make the fish happy.

cassklar
12/28/2010, 04:10 PM
The dried krill is also available at the lfs correct is it frozen and will that help my gsp

epic.exposures
12/29/2010, 09:14 AM
Phytoplankton will help GSP. I woud strongly encourage te phytoplankton, your corals will grow like wildfire.

chimmike
12/29/2010, 09:23 AM
probably way too much light for the stuff you have. Honestly, you've got like 9w per gallon of light. That's a LOT of light. the xenia might just be getting overkill on the light.

Rudolph
12/29/2010, 09:33 AM
I just picked up some xenia a couple of months ago and I had to experiment with their placement in my tank....consider both proximity to the light (move low or higher) and water movement (move closer/further to a power head). I had to move them several times and actually split them up to speed up my experimentation. Once I found where one of the xenia was doing the best, that is where I moved other. They are now doing great and pulsating and one smaller section has moved (or broke off and reset if they cannot move??). Good luck, once you get it right it will be worth the effort, but it can be trying in the interium...

cassklar
12/29/2010, 02:12 PM
how much light should i have is there a way to cut down my lighting my tank is 30 x 12 x 24 i had asked before and some said lighting was fine