PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to hate hermit crabs...

89Foxbody
12/28/2010, 05:32 PM
I just dropped some NLS pellets in my tank for my fish and one of them happened to fall on one of my lavender mushroom polyps...Well one of my huge gray hermit crabs went into a feeding frenzy and went over to it and started pinching the polyp trying to get the food...He did not actually tear the polyp whatsoever, but it shriveled up and puked a bunch of white stringy stuff from the center. Is this particular polyp toast? It looks like it's opening back up...I'm currently looking for somewhere to get rid of these crabs as I hate them. They knock everything over in my tank, crawl on my corals causing them to close, fight with each other, etc....I can't bring myself to execute them and I don't have a sump so I'll see if I can pawn them off on one of my LFS.....

Jeff000
12/28/2010, 05:55 PM
the mushroom is fine. They serve a purpose for sure.

Mine only knock things over that I have just sitting around where the current almost knocks them over. I have more problems with snails knocking things over.

I am sure there is someone local that would take them from you too. If you were local I would pick them up even. How many do you have? I have around 50 in my 90g

89Foxbody
12/28/2010, 06:12 PM
I have 2 big ones. They are much larger than your normal reef crabs. I haven't ever seen them actually eating coral, and they don't harm my blue and red legs, but they are just annoying haha. I'll post in my local section and see if anyone wants them.