PDA

View Full Version : Sump or Refugium

fredthefish
12/28/2010, 06:50 PM
Hello all reef-goers,
I have recently begun a sump/refugium project for my 24 gallon nano cube. The only bump I've encountered along the way is that my bottom tank is only 3 gallons. I was wondering whether it would be more effective to use this bottom tank as a sump, with: a nicer skimmer, UV sterilizer, and other tank management systems and controls; or if i should make it a refugium with miracle mud, live rock rubble, and chaeto.

Also i have used all 3/4" pipes for my plumbing, and i think it's a little too wide. I use 3/4" vinyl tubing from overflow box to sump/refugium tank and from the sump/refugium tank back up to the display tank. If i replace my 3/4" vinyl tubing with 1/2" vinyl tubing, will this slow my flow, or cause problems? please help!.

i have a 24g nanocube,
custom overflow box fit with 3/4" plubming
maxi-jet 1800 fit with 3/4" plubming (also has a ball valve)
3gal bottom tank fitted to stand

carpenter981
12/28/2010, 06:56 PM
I would go with a sump set up with skimmer. Also, I dont think changing your plumbing diameter will make that big of a difference.

Agu
12/28/2010, 09:56 PM
Can you set up a bigger sump? 3 gallons is pretty small. I suspect you're going to have bubbles returning to the tank with either a skimmer or refugium. I also suspect there's a risk of overflowing a sump that small in a power outage.

I could be wrong but I don't see a 3 gallon sump being worth the effort, even on a nano tank.

thegrun
12/28/2010, 10:12 PM
I would set up a refugium with a HOB skimmer. I am not a fan of UV sterilizers either way.

fredthefish
12/28/2010, 11:52 PM
I would set up a refugium with a HOB skimmer. I am not a fan of UV sterilizers either way.

so do you think a 3 gal refugium would be worth having to house macro algae?

Can you set up a bigger sump? 3 gallons is pretty small. I suspect you're going to have bubbles returning to the tank with either a skimmer or refugium. I also suspect there's a risk of overflowing a sump that small in a power outage.

I could be wrong but I don't see a 3 gallon sump being worth the effort, even on a nano tank.

well, i already have 2 small protein skimmers on the back of my tank i was just thinking of this as a small upgrade, and the 3gal was the only aquarium i could fit in my stand. do you not think its worth going through the hassle?

stoney1118
12/28/2010, 11:58 PM
if your going to put it under your stand is it possible to fit some type of rubbermaid tote under there thats bigger and will hold more than three gallons? i have used totes many times on different setups to maximise water volume and they are super cheap and extremely effective! even on larger systems! i had a 90gal once and i tossed the expensive custom acrlyic sump i had and replaced it with a much bigger tote! set a smaller one down inside it that my skimmer sat in so the drains ran into it and got skimmed then overflowed into the larger tote to be returned to the display. just a thought it has worked well for many others in the past and you have tons of options as far as shapes go!

stoney1118
12/29/2010, 12:00 AM
but if not, yes maybe a 3gal with macro will help you out if you can come up with a light for it, id also reccomend throwing a powerhead in there to increase internal flow, not effecting the flow in and out of the small fuge!

JDMhoes
12/29/2010, 12:19 AM
It would be easier to do a water change weekly than a sump?

fredthefish
12/30/2010, 10:33 PM
if your going to put it under your stand is it possible to fit some type of rubbermaid tote under there thats bigger and will hold more than three gallons? i have used totes many times on different setups to maximise water volume and they are super cheap and extremely effective! even on larger systems! i had a 90gal once and i tossed the expensive custom acrlyic sump i had and replaced it with a much bigger tote! set a smaller one down inside it that my skimmer sat in so the drains ran into it and got skimmed then overflowed into the larger tote to be returned to the display. just a thought it has worked well for many others in the past and you have tons of options as far as shapes go!

I love your rubber tote idea! although i already purchased the 3 gal and its over 10% of the volume of the DT so i think it'll do some good.
...Well at least until I find the perfect sized tote and decide to setup the 3gal on my bedside table.

fredthefish
12/30/2010, 10:36 PM
my b