PDA

View Full Version : Two non-normal lighting questions

wbdevers
12/28/2010, 11:17 PM
I've got a moonlight LED running at night in my tank. Should I occasionally turn it off for a night or two to give the tank complete darkness, or is that really not necessary?

Second question is what would be the best temp color for a fuge light? I'm going to put a clamp light with a CFL over my fuge. Lowes sells both a 3500 and a 6500 K. Which one will be best for [I]Chaeto[I]?

Thanks,

Wes

Virtuoso
12/29/2010, 05:52 AM
Not sure about the first question. Honestly, I can't imagine it matters too much unless you're having algae problems.

Second question, there is an article here that discusses it - http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html. They recommend a 5100K bulb but that seems like a somewhat dated article.

12/29/2010, 05:58 AM
Should I occasionally turn it off for a night or two to give the tank complete darkness, or is that really not necessary?

Not necessary.

Second question is what would be the best temp color for a fuge light?
6500K.

Jeff

thegrun
12/29/2010, 07:42 AM
I turn my moon lights off, the corals directly under them never close up when they are on, so I give them a rest by shutting the moon lights off nightly (on a timer).
I would 2nd/3rd 6500K

wbdevers
12/29/2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks all. I am kind of on the fence with the moon light so I asked. it is sucha a low intensity light that I didn't think it would matter, but figured I would ask.

I felt the 6500 would be best but wanted 2nd opinions.

Thanks all.

Wes