PDA

View Full Version : Royal Exlusive 170

rogerwilco357
12/29/2010, 05:39 AM
ok just hooked up my 170 and need to know the best water level for it to run at? I have it in about 8 in.of water and it seems to be working fine just want to know what you have yours at ..man I know they should need 2 days to break in but man this thing is churning out some nice skim mate , guess my ev180 wasn't as good as I thought..amazing unit.

Porcupinepuffer
12/29/2010, 07:40 AM
You'll have to give it another few days to be sure you're done with the break in, then you'll be able to find your optimum water level. It's easy with these brands of skimmers. Just look at the crap in the collection cup. If your skimmate in the cup looks too watery, then lower it slightly, if it's too thick and dark looking, then bring it up a bit.

Mike de Leon
12/29/2010, 09:22 AM
How do you like the skimmer? Is it producing a ton of very fine bubbles? I am looking into buying one. The manual says at 9 to 10 inches of water. My sump can only accommodate 8 inches like yourself.
Can you post a pic?

rogerwilco357
12/29/2010, 07:52 PM
well i raised the water level to 9 inches and it rocks i had to tune it down a bit and now the skimmate is perfect not white but getting the nice dark smelly gunk very happy with it cannot wait till the breakin period is passed bet it will rock man I don't know what i was waiting for I should have had this up and running back in september..wow If you get one you will be happy..

Mike de Leon
12/29/2010, 09:37 PM
Cool! thanks

Mike de Leon
12/30/2010, 04:38 PM
Just picked one up. How do you know if the pump is second or first generation? the one I have has white water intake. I seen a lot of grey ones. Also, under the pump it says 9 2010. Is this second generation? I know the first ones had issues...

Porcupinepuffer
12/30/2010, 05:01 PM
Did they even have more then one generation in the cone model? Or are you perhaps thinking of the BK 160,180, and 200 models? It's easy to tell the difference. The impeller cover with the needle wheel is far larger and white (which is what you seem to have). The first generation was just pure black with a much smaller impeller cover. Google searches of pictures will easily show the difference in the way the pump looks. I also think the 160 gen 2 didn't change. Just the 180 and 200 with the larger volute, needle wheel, titanium shaft, etc.

Mike de Leon
12/30/2010, 05:09 PM
The 170 Alpha Cone had surging issues when first released. The newer ones apparently have been fixed. I was wondering if the one i just bought that had 9 2010 stamped under the pump is the newer release or not. You just never know with the LFS if they are selling you the older models or not...