PDA

View Full Version : BioBalls or No BioBalls

alanbates12
12/29/2010, 05:51 AM
Hahahaha thought about putting the title as bioballs or no balls..... Anyway just thought it was funny after I looked at it. Guess I'm a 42 yr old kid.... So really my question is this. I just put in a new sump and my old sump had about 20/30 bioballs in it. I'm taking them out a couple at a time about every 3rd day. I've heard they can raise your nitrates. My nitrates are 10/20 and I"d like to see them at 0/10. My new sump has a fuge and I'm hoping this will help also... What are your thought on the bioballs,, Good or Bad, can they raise my nitrates or not...Thanks for looking.. Also I"ve been told a few large water changes Will help. I've done two 30% changes over the past week and set up do do another today but I"ve really not seen much with this lowering my nitrates or phosphates. Also I've not seen a spike in the ammonia which would tell me I"m taking out to much good bacteria with the removal of the bioballs... My ammonia level is zero.:bounce2:

Basketstar
12/29/2010, 06:17 AM
If your tank is cycled with an adequate amount of live rock and/or sand then bioballs aren't necessary for denitrification. They are difficult to keep clean and inevitably become nutrient traps. They are still used in some systems where a lot of waste is being produced, such as a predator tank.

Michael
12/29/2010, 08:15 AM
They are superb at dealing with ammonia once colonised and in a wet/dry would be my method if I had a Large fish only species tank, in a reef though id not consider them as they cant convert nitrate and will become a pain and hinderence, I do believe many aquarists think along a similar line as well.

Chris27
12/29/2010, 08:35 AM
Bio-balls are far superior to live rock when it comes to breaking down ammonia.....but they won't break down nitrate. Short answer is keep them if you are light on rock, but if you have a good deal of rock and sand, the bio-balls really aren't necessary. Don't toss them in the trash though, they come in handy for FW tanks/ponds and quarantine tanks.

Rudolph
12/29/2010, 09:46 AM
I have seen people that feel strongly both ways, but the vast majority seem to say no bio-balls

tkeracer619
12/29/2010, 11:11 AM
Great cat toys!

Predator FO tanks use them. When you have messy fish that eat half of whatever it is you toss in there bio balls and other similar medias do a great job converting the ammonia spike.

pwhitby
12/29/2010, 11:21 AM
All good answers.

Go with live rock, if you can.

Paul.

Stuart60611
12/29/2010, 11:23 AM
Read this recent thread on the subject which will help you understand the issue.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1951597

alanbates12
12/29/2010, 12:15 PM
I've got 150 pounds of established live rock. Do I need to take out the balls slow or all at once

aleonn
12/29/2010, 12:21 PM
I'd slowly remove the bio-balls out so that you don't shock the system.

FRANKENSTIEN
12/29/2010, 12:35 PM
just continue to take them out slow then you have no worrys