PDA

View Full Version : Sump question

caietaro
12/29/2010, 01:15 PM
I've been in freshwater for a good number of years and just got into saltwater a year or so ago. I'm setting up at 40g breeder and have a question on sump design.

I found a 20gal sump that I think will work for me, but I the design is a little odd. The water from the DT drains into an 8" wide chamber where the skimmer goes. The water rises to 10", but enters into the second chamber (fuge) through a break in the first baffle 4" up from the bottom.

Most other sump designs I've seen show the water flowing over the top of the first baffle into the second chamber. Are there any negatives/positives to having the water from the skimmber chamber flow into the fuge as I described above?

Thanks!:wave:

sslak
12/29/2010, 01:30 PM
Sounds like it's an oddly designed bubble trap to keep bubbles from entering the fuge?

I'm thinking it should work ok....

Usually people put the bubble trap (two baffles) after the fuge, first over to set the water level, then under to prevent bubbles from entering the return pump.

caietaro
12/29/2010, 01:35 PM
oddly enough there are still two baffles after the fuge which I'm guessing will act as the bubble trap. I was just concerned that the water in the skimmer chamber would empty out through the break in the bottom before it is able to be skimmed.

pramberg
12/29/2010, 01:39 PM
Sounds OK to me

bobpiker
12/29/2010, 02:01 PM
Your skimmer isn't going to get everything as it enters the inlet section anyway but having the opening where it's at should help to keep the refugium section and the inlet section water levels equal, which isn't a bad thing. Some have put an opening down low in the final baffle to help keep return and refugium levels closer to equal...which I also don't think is a bad thing as it likely helps to lessen water top off requirements.

Best regards,
Bob

Chris27
12/29/2010, 02:25 PM
Do you have a picture? It sounds like it will work for you, but a picture is worth a thousand words....

caietaro
12/29/2010, 03:19 PM
No pictures unfortunately, but the dimensions are 24"Lx12"Wx15"H

Drain/Skimmer chamber is 8"Lx12"W with a 15"H baffle and a break in the baffle 4" up from the bottom

The fuge chamber is 10"Lx12"W with a 10"H baffle

Then there's an over-under bubble trap, with 1.5" in between the two baffles.

Lastly, the return chamber is 6"Lx12"W

tangelo_
12/29/2010, 04:31 PM
I think I can picture what you're talking about. I think it'll work just fine. I have seen a few like that on freshwater planted tanks.