PDA

View Full Version : Do you acclimate after shipping?

cpllongjk
12/29/2010, 02:33 PM
I havent bought shipped corals in years and was wondering how many of you acclimate your sps after shipping? I used to just float the bags and put the corals in.

Also how many of you iodine dip prior to putting them in tank after shipping? I dont want to further stress my corals after the long haul to my home.

Thanks

sfexplicit
12/30/2010, 01:33 AM
I acclimate because I think it's less stressful to the coral. I save the iodine based dips for the softies. Been using Revive or Coral Rx.

cjtice
12/30/2010, 05:07 PM
I only acclimate to temperature prior to opening the bag, once the bag is opened the coral gets pulled straight out, let sit in open air for a few then straight to the tank. Have not lost one yet with this routine.

REEF SMAC
12/31/2010, 12:20 PM
I acclimate everything. Usually with the drip method after I float for them for a short while. I like to think that a slow change from the shipping water (temp, PH, salinity, etc.) to my tank water has got to be less stressful than a sudden change. It might be overkill but I figure it can't hurt.

QT of everything I think is more important FWIW.
:)

KDS 71
12/31/2010, 01:04 PM
I only acclimate to temperature prior to opening the bag, once the bag is opened the coral gets pulled straight out, let sit in open air for a few then straight to the tank. Have not lost one yet with this routine.

+1 here never never even drip aclimated a fish,and never lost one.not saying its right,and i have no reasoning for it either LOL !!

Pmoss
12/31/2010, 08:57 PM
I acclimate .. fish and coral, and everyone seems to appreciate it.

seesick
01/01/2011, 09:37 AM
I acclimate everything, both corals/fish with the drip method.

fish 45min-1hour

corals 35min and scrub base with toothbrush.

Tater11
01/01/2011, 10:19 AM
I only acclimate to temperature prior to opening the bag, once the bag is opened the coral gets pulled straight out, let sit in open air for a few then straight to the tank. Have not lost one yet with this routine.i do the same i lost alot of coral using the drip method.then i tried just floating the bag getting the temp the same and bingo works like a charm for me.i think the this method is alot less stressfull on the coral.jmo

DarkXerox
01/01/2011, 06:11 PM

I've been doing this too for all my corals the last few years. The corals slime up while in the air for a minute, then the mucus slowly comes off as they are in the tank.

RobbReef
01/01/2011, 08:56 PM
I acclimate everything cause you never know with coral whats hanging in there and fish tend to like it better....

atreis
01/02/2011, 06:04 AM
I acclimate only for temp. Seems to work well for fish, coral, even anemones.